2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crankshaft position sensor relearn question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:10 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road
Default Crankshaft position sensor relearn question

Feel like I opened a can of worms here. Long story short I went to do front suspension and steering parts replacement and found axle bearing bad so removed axle and had bearings and seals done at shop. Found oil pan leaking at front lower seal so thought pan gasket should be done while axle was out. While cleaning block surface found lower timing cover is cranked. So now I guess ill be replacing that too.

How long can truck be driven before getting relearn done? (will have to get to a shop when finished.) Also anything I should know about getting into doing the timing cover replacement?

Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the crankshaft position sensor and or timing cover is moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the relearn must be performed. If not performed, the PCM will use the old relearn data which is now incorrect. The engine will still start and run, but ignition timing, injector timing, cylinder misfire detection and accurate identification will all be incorrect. The sooner you have the relearn performed, the better. It will not damage the engine if you don't have it performed.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:18 PM

Thanks captain!! Any recommendation on a replacement cover? OEM?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I've heard both good and bad with aftermarket covers. I have not used aftermarket, only OEM, and never had trouble.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Ok called around today to get this done and got prices from $45 at a local shop to $125 at the dealer. Well this sucks. Can anyone help me save some $?

Old 12-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Looks to me like you found a savings of $80. Probably have to do it yourself to save more.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll spend more than that to DIY it.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Im wondering if autozone might have their code reader that pulls abs codes to be able to do that.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It requires a scantool capable of bi-directional communication to initiate the relearn procedure.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM

I was thinking that. Thanks for the info. Will just collect my losses and gain them elsewhere. The damn leak is still there too. Gonna smear rtv across lower section I guess.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft position sensor relearn question