2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Beginning Member
RidinWithHarry is on a distinguished road
Default CV Boot replacement

Yesterday I changed the brake pads on the front of my 03 4WD 4 door Blazer and noticed grease everywhere on the passenger side. The boot was torn. I'm not getting any trouble out of that side of the vehicle as far as sounds, vibrations, or weird steering behavior so I think that I caught this early enough to beat any CV axle issues that'll require replacement.

What I don't know is:
If there is a kit that makes this job easier than having to completely disassemble that corner of my truck?
Can I change just the boot and not the whole axle?
If I can change the boot, is there a kit that will come with the proper crimping tools for those zip-tie like rings that secure the boot in place?

Thanks guys and gals!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There are "split boots" available that can be installed without axle removal. Not the best choice though as they are not very reliable. Half shafts are available new and rebuilt for ~$50, a far better choice. Most auto parts stores have them in stock.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:32 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Similar event on my '02...grease everywhere. I replaced the left side axle and 6 months later, replaced the right side for the same reason.

I never could find any split or tear in either boot...just grease everywhere.

I suggest if one split for no apparent reason...then save yourself the trouble and do both sides, axles that is...do not even waste your time with those cheap clamp-on boots..... at the sametime and be done with this task.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

How long does it take to replace both ? Pretty straightforward?

Old 08-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Shop labor time for one axle = 1.4 hours, both axles = 2.5 hours. This is assuming you have the proper tools and are familiar with the job. If not, add time accordingly.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Cut bands on both ends of old boot, cut old boot off axle, install replacement boot over axle and bolt together with cheap little bolts that were provided, pack replacement CV boot with grease and clamp both ends of boot the best you can to the axle, Repeat process in a week or two after it fails

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Not too bad of a job replacing the axles. However I had trouble getting the spindle out of the way in order to get the axle out and finally pop'ed the tie rod end joint which made it possible. Does not impact steering/alignment.

I know that Captain stated how the manual says to use a slide hammer to pull each axle out....I did not have one and would have made it a bit easier, but I just used a pry bar to get each one out. Just have to be CAREFUL not to damage the grease seal at the differential with the pry bar.

Getting the axles back in takes some effort to get the clip on the end to seat. Someone suggest dipping the end of the axle in some grease to hold the clip centered to make it go in easier....sounds like a good idea....too bad I read it afterwards.

Just make sure the axle is fully seated before putting everything back together. A week after I did the right side I found that I did not get the right axle locked in place, but I was able to get it to lock without taking anything apart....I was lucky!

I got the axles from Rock Auto...they were actually cheaper with shipping than local stores.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:44 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I would recommend renting these 2 tools from Autozone, it will help getting them out. Captain Hook recommended these because my driver's side axle would not come out of the front differential. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing just the boots, it is just a few more dollars to get an entire axle, and it will save you a ton of work.

OEM/FWD axle puller adapter

OEM/Slide hammer

Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
I would recommend renting these 2 tools from Autozone, it will help getting them out. Captain Hook recommended these because my driver's side axle would not come out of the front differential. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing just the boots, it is just a few more dollars to get an entire axle, and it will save you a ton of work.

OEM/FWD axle puller adapter

OEM/Slide hammer
Hey thanks, Tajohns34. Doing both sides of mine when I come back from vacation in Colorado right after Labor Day (not driving the Blazer there)! I do the loaners from Autozone when I can. Mine doesn't rent tools - they loan. Didn't realize they had those ones.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I guess you would consider it a loan. It costs $65 to rent both tools, but you get the money back when you return them.

Quick Reply: CV Boot replacement