2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cylinder head gaskets, exaust manafold, is a shortcut???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM
zeb_ford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cylinder head gaskets, exaust manafold, is a shortcut???

I am replacing the head gaskets on my 98 4.3 4x4 blazier, I have the intake off, ect.. I unbolted the exaust manafold and removed the metal spark plug shields, do I need to take the exaust manafold completely off? Is there a way to manuver it around to undo the bottom clyinderhead bolts?? I am on the drivers side at the moment, thanks..... zeb

Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: cylinder head gaskets, intake manafold, is a shortcut???

I think you are talking about the exhaust manifolds. I have never tried to leave them on when doing a headgasket replacement as they just seem to get in the way on newer vehicles. It is best to just undo them from the y-pipe and get them completely out of the way. You can leave the EGR stove pipe attached to the driver's side manifold when you remove it though.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
zeb_ford is an unknown quantity at this point

exaust manafold, sorry greasy typing. thats what I thought. I just didn't feel like pb blastin with a torch!!!! any shortcut helps it's 8 deg in my non-heated garage!!!! thanks zeb.....

Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Go get yourself a small salamander kerosene heater!! For $100 or so it'll be the best tool you'll have in an unheated garage. Only use it when you're working out there.

Anyway, yeah, lots of PB Blaster and some long extensions. I would tighten the manifold back down onto the cylinder head while you attempt to remove the mounting bolts to the y-pipe to restrict movement.