2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Daily Driver..'05 5 speed Jimmy, Parts Truck..'02 ZR2 Automatic. Best of Both Worlds

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 PM
BrassMnKy is on a distinguished road
Default Daily Driver..'05 5 speed Jimmy, Parts Truck..'02 ZR2 Automatic. Best of Both Worlds

Hello Everyone. I'll try to be as concise as possible with this query. I bought my 2005, 5 speed, bare bones (save air and cd player) Jimmy new off the lot. The years haven't been so kind to the rear quarters, and the rocker panels.. nothing new there. So I recently came across a 2002 ZR2 Blazer complete with 4 after market fender flares, already installed new ZR2 front fenders, a less than a year old battery, power windows, mirrors, and locks, cruise, fog lights, and tilt steering all for $500. However, the automatic transmission has no reverse, and doesn't shift right from first to second. Mileage is virtually the same (in fact the '02 now has fewer kilometers on it, and it's rockers are in considerably better condition). The drivers rear quarter arch on the '02 is in Bad shape, but, the '05's passenger rear quarter is pretty well shot, so I think I'm into replacing a rear quarter panel either way. The other 2 respectively, are in decent shape. They are both 4WD, however the '02 has had the front drive shaft removed due to an actuator failure. Both the drive shaft, and a rebuilt actuator came with the '02 when I bought it. The '05's 4WD is tip top. Other than the 4WD issue, and the A/C on the '02, everything else on both trucks is in working order ( I drove the 02 home), oh, and they are both black. The long and short of it is, I'm looking to get the best of both worlds out of the two trucks. Now the questions start...

First thing is.. I love my manual transmission, but I have been informed it is a daunting task to swap out an auto for a 5 speed . So, outside of how daunting, and extensive the physical parts swap really is (please feel free to elaborate... please), are there any computer/wiring or other issues that come into play?

Second, speaking of the computer, will the '05's work with the '02, and vice versa? I'd be surprised to hear a yes to that, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Thirdly, if I find upon reinstalling the '02's 4WD components and discover something else, like the transfer case, is puked, are all the 4WD parts interchangeable from the 05 to the 02?

Lastly (for now at least), am I nuts for considering any of this at all?? Lol! Should I just throw a used/rebuilt automatic in the '02 and call it done? I Really do like my 5 speed though...

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice and/or information will be greatly appreciated.