2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dashboard gauges dont work + car wont start...

Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
JasonG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dashboard gauges dont work + car wont start...

About a month ago I had a shop do my heater core for me on my 98 chevy blazer.... Ever since then every other day the car wont start when we go to start her in the morning. The weird thing is all of the gaues dont work and the lights dont work in the dash when this happens. Then if we wait like a day she will start right up and everything works.

It almost reminds me of the factory security feature, but the security light is not coming on. It just sounds like something is shutting off the spark or gas.

I tried getting a new key made cause that help the security issue in the past...

Anybody have any clue wtf is going on? This is my only car and I cannot keep going like this...

Jason

Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dashboard gauges dont work + car wont start...

I'd have to say it sounds like an ignition switch... Might not have anything to do with the security key, but more to do with something flaking out inside the ignition switch. It could be that the mechanic didn't get a plug fully seated in the steering column area. I'd start with checking all of the electrical connections in and around the steering column. If it continues to malfunction, it may be time to look into a replacement ignition switch.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 PM

I was reading the board and notice the ignition switch issues with other blazers...

Funny thing is, i broiught him the car 2 days ago... he had it over night... next morning it started and he said there was no problem. He basicaly ripped me off...

so maybe i should take apart the steering wheel colum and start looking for something loose?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really, just pull off the hush panels to gain access to the underside of the dash. You should find all of the connectors you'd be concerned with in this area. I know an old trick on older vehicles (prior to electronic security in the ignition switch) was to put some powdered graphite down in the ignition switch and cycle it. This may or may not help. I have never heard of it tried in a modern ignition.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:06 PM

Just got back in from lookin at the car real fast. I couldnt help myself cause this is really bugging me...

I wasnt able to get the hush panels off cause i dont have any tools at this house with me. But i was able to wiggle some wires, no go on that.

I did check battery terminals and cables. They are fine.

The tranny shifts fine as well.

Would it still shift fine even if the ignition switch or module is faulty?

How can I diagnos it exactly?

Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Beginning Member
tdannar is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did my heater core in my 98 Blazer. I did not have to disconnect any wires at the steering column. Did take it loose and lowered the complete assembly, but did not unplug anything. It very well could be the switch, but I would also check the where the main wiring harness plugs in. It is found behind the glovebox. I don't think that you have to remove the glovebox for access. Look at the left top side of the glovebox and you will find a wire stop that stops the glovebox when you open it. Push up on the wire stop and the glovebox will pivot down and dump all your stuff on the floor..... The connector is about 2-3 inches square. There is one bolt in the center of the connector. I would loosen the bolt (It does not come all the way out. It stays on the harness) and unplug the connector. Make sure that none of the many pins are bent, and plug it back in and tighten the bolt. That connector powers most of the dash stuff. Picture of connector below...

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/A7C849062A694D5994E147B40383ACD6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Ignition switches are a funny thing. Sometimes they work, and others they don't. I'd have to do some searching to find some other problems associated with a faulty ignition switch. I know on Dodges, that when the ignition switch starts to go, the dash will just go dead sometimes while driving down the road... I haven't heard of this in GM vehicles...

Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a fualty ignition switch on my '00 Blazer. IT would activate my security system and I had to wait like 15 minutes and it would work. Under warrenty so I had the dealer replace it free of charge.