2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead gauges AND radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dead gauges AND radio?

Alright, my friend and I just swapped out the heater core in my 1998 Blazer 4dr 2WD. When we put everything back together, surprise, we'd forgotten to connect a cable, and it was to my speedometer and other gauges in the instrument panel.

I had a guy doing a remote start install, he said he'd look at the panel and fix it if he could, and did. yippie!

Well, we went to install a new head unit, put it in, didn't work, pulled it out, checked the wiring harness, retried, worked, then turned the car off, turned the car back on. No head unit, and half of my gauges are not working again. (The same half as before, nonetheless.)

We can't find the disconnected wire, but we're certain that's what it has to be...

Here's what works and doesn't work. (We think.)

Voltage - Works
Oil Pressure - Works
Turn Signal Indicators - Work
Safety Belt Indicator - Stuck on for some reason.
Service Engine Light - Works

Speedometer - Never moves from 0
RPM Gauge - Never moves from 0
Temperature gauge is giving faulty readings.
Fuel Level Gauge - Not working.
Odometer - Not lighting up.
Little bar showing you what gear you're in. - Not showing up.

To my knowledge, the only wires and such we touched were on the passenger side of the truck, under/behind the glove box, and the ones in the area behind the radio and A/C and Heat controls. We MIGHT have bumped something on the steering column, but we can't find anything disconnected or hanging.

ANYONE who can help me out here would be appreciated, thanks! I can try to answer more specific questions to help diagnose the problem, but I'm not sure how much help I'd be.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dead gauges AND radio?

The only thing that I can see that is common between the radio and the gauges is the grounds. But they are not located on the passenger side... They are actually rather difficult to get to, located up on the driver side above and to the left of the brake pedal.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 AM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dead gauges AND radio?

Actually, considering I pulled out those panels, that's quite likely.

I'll check on that, thanks.