2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead instrument panel, ignition key stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
trettifire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dead instrument panel, ignition key stuck

I have a 5 door '99 Blazer with 4,3L V6 engine. For the past 6 months I've had a problem with my instrument panel and ignition. It all started with the engine malfunction symbol showing in the instrument panel, and everything else being normal. I called my local Chevy garage, and they said it probably was the EGR valve and advised me to use high-octane fuel every now and then. This didn't help and the problem evolved. Now the instrument panel dies (only showing oil pressure and battery) and I can't get the ignition key out. In addition, the engine seems "weak" and I have to use a lot more power just to get it rolling. This is not constant, every now and then the instruments wake up after a mile or so, and the engine starts working normally. However, almost every time when I stop the car and shift to park, the instruments die again and I cannot get my key out. I manage to turn the engine off but I can't turn the key the last bit and take it out. If I leave the key in and wait an hour or so with the car stopped I usually get the key out. While the key is in and the engine is off there is almost constantly sounds of some electric motors underneath the car.
The funny thing is that if I press the Trip Counter button on the instrument panel, the whole thing wakes up and works normally, and everything disappears again when I release the button.
I've been to the Chevy garage with the car having it error searched and costing me a LOT of money. They concluded that the transmission position switch was burnt and had to be changed, and they did. When they did, the computer reported two errors in the VCM (control unit for the engine). Thus, we tried changing the VCM but when we did, it reported the exact same errors.
This thread got very long, and I apologize for that, but the Blazer is a very expensive car in Norway and I just cannot accept that they can't work it out. So my question is : Have any of you experienced anything similar or do you have any ideas of what I/the garage can do?

Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Beginning Member
jdpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dead instrument panel, ignition key stuck

I had a similiar issue. It was the ignition switch. $300 installed at the dealer. No problems anymore

Old 10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Kirk is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition Key Stuck

My '99 Blazer has the same problem with the key, but not the other problems mentioned.

The local dealer charged me a small fortune to "fix" it, but it happened again. Is there a solenoid on the steering column loch that interacts with the ignition key lock?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... Just a month shy of this threads fourth anniversary. LOL

The ignition lock cylinder interacts with the ignition switch. For a look at the ignition switch, check out the thread in my signature.