2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dome lights/keyless remote/alarm/auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 PM
cragpretzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dome lights/keyless remote/alarm/auto headlights

I have 1998 Blazer S10. I have spent a lot of time trying to get my dome lights to come on when the doors open. They work with the keyless remote but only stay on for a short while. When I turn them on via the dash switch they stay on forever. The keyless remote sometimes didn't unlock all the doors so I installed a new battery and now it is worse. Just the other day my horn alarm sounded when I opened the driver door with my keys in my hand. I quickly locked the doors and it stopped. This was the first I ever heard the alarm. A few times my headlights would not come on automatically so I fooled with the dash switches to make them come on. HELLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Old 11-28-2006, 01:36 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Dome lights/keyless remote/alarm/auto headlights

sounds maybe like bad wiring in the alarm system, i could be wrong so dont take my word.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I a very similar problem with my old '94 Intrepid. It was just electrical gremlins that plagued it and they kept getting worse. I tried new RKE modules, new RKE wiring, new door switches, etc... It was a pain! I ended up selling the vehicle to solve the problem. But I do not think that the alarm systems on our trucks were as 'tied-in' as they were on that mopar.

Anyway, your dome light problem is most likely a faulty door switch. This may be tied in with the rest of the issues, but even if it isn't, it's one place to start. The door switches work by completing a ground. If you remove the switch, it should break the ground circuit. With the dome light override turned off (ie dome lights on) remove all of the door switches. If the lights go out, you know you have a faulty switch. Reconnect the switches to the wiring one by one (only 1 connected at any point in time). Don't forget that there also is a rear glass ajar switch that is integrated into the latch mechanism. This may also be a potential source for a fault. If you have gone through all of the switches (including the rear glass) and still cannot get the lights to turn off, then you may have a short in one or more of the signal wires back to the BCM.

Here's a description of the Interior Lighting Module:
Interior Lights Circuit Description

Power is supplied from the CTSY LP fuse in the IP fuse block through CKT 40 (ORN) at all times to the following components:

* The LH and RH console courtesy lamps
* The cargo lamp (utility)
* The dome lamp
* The inadvertent power relay in the body relay block

The inadvertent power relay is energized when the Body Control Module (BCM) provides the ground to the relay coil through CKT 1393 (DK BLU). When the inadvertent power relay is energized, power is supplied to the coil of the courtesy lamp relay in the body relay block and to CKT 1732 (ORN). CKT 1732 (ORN) supplies power to the following components:

* The IP compartment lamp switch
* The underhood lamp switch
* The LH and RH sunshade mirror lamp switches
* The map lamps

CKT 1732 (0RN) provides a lamp request signal to the BCM. When the IP compartment lamp switch is activated, power is provided directly to the IP compartment lamp. The ground is provided by CKT 1050 (BLK) to G203. When the hood opens, the underhood lamp switch activates and provides power to the underhood lamp. The underhood lamp has a direct ground. When the sunshade mirror lamp switch is activated, power is provided directly to the sunshade mirror lamp. The ground is provided by CKT 1850 (BLK) to G202. The map lamps are provided ground when the map lamp switch is activated through CKT 1850 (BLK) to G202. The courtesy lamp relay is energized when the coil is provided power from the inadvertent power relay and the BCM provides the ground to the relay coil through CKT 690 (GRY/BLK). When the courtesy lamp relay is energized, the relay will connect CKT 156 (WHT) to G200. This provides a ground through CKT 1850 (BLK) for the following components:

* The dome lamp
* The cargo lamp (utility)
* The map lights (when map light switch is in the OFF position)
* The LH and RH console courtesy lamps
With your alarm system, it is possible that you have a faulty ground somewhere in your dash. Has your dash ever been removed before, say for a heater core replacement or something similar?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:45 PM
cragpretzel is an unknown quantity at this point

I still don't quite understand this Blazer Forum completely. I want to thank the people who responded with their opinions concerning my problem. I was hoping for a detailed solution but I guess i'm going to have to wing it on my own. I bought the Blazer because I had some cash money from an inheritence but not enough to buy an SUV that I knew would be much more trouble free. After avoiding Ford for decades and being caught up in Chrysler's tranmission disaster GM was my last stronghold for a "quality" American vehicle. Everyone now knows how badly our own companies have ripped off the American consumer. It's an outrage how they thought they could sell their junk forever and we would just keep buying.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How much more specific would you like? You are dealing with an electrical problem that isn't a wide spread issue (ie occurs a lot in our vehicles). This takes trouble shooting to solve. I have given you the steps you need to go through and now it's up to you. Sorry I could not have definitively pointed out a singular cause for all of your problems, but it almost never works that way for electrical problems.\

*EDIT* - And I would hardly blame a used vehicle, of which you know nothing of its care and maintenance history, on the quality of a brand as a whole. For all you know, that truck could have been broken into on several occasions, have an aftermarket alarm (that has nothing to do with GM) and due to wiring damage from the break-ins or possible poor alarm installation, you are now blaming it on the manufacturer. Hmm...