2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door Hinge (Bushing & Spring)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Jorgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Door Hinge (Bushing & Spring)

OK so my fiancé has a 2002 Blazer 2 door that the door spring popped out of this morning when she was getting out of the car at work. She called said it popped out and then she shut the door anyway and thinks something bent (we'll see about that). I saw that the tool is like $15 to put the spring back in so that is no problem I will just get one foe those. Thesehinges are completely shot in this car. The bushings are gone as well as a bit of extra metal from being opened and shut without the bushings. This has been like this for as long as I can remember. What I am asking is since a bushing kit won't really do what I need (I don't think as there extra material of the hings is eaten away) is there a way to replace the whole hinge assembly reasonably easily?

Thanx for any help I have looked at stuff on here but everything I found was just about installing the bushing kit and not what to do when it has gone too far already.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Doro Hinge (Bushing & Spring)

This has been discussed quite a few times and the answer is no, there really isn't an easy way to fix these hinges once they have worn past the bushings. The factory hinges are welded on making it much more complicated to replace.

You have a few choices:
[ol][*]Just replace the bushings and expect to do it again in a year or so.[*]Use something like JB Weld to fill in the worn part of the hinge and file it back round before installation of the bushing. This will last longer than just installing new bushings, but isn't really a permanent fix.[*]Weld up the worn areas and drill/file it back to round before replacing the bushings.[*]Cut out the original hinges and weld in replacements. This takes precision to keep the door in the proper alignment as well as having it operate normally. Alittle out of alignment and the door may not open correctly or line up...[/ol]

Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
classic_cruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't they make oversized bushing kits for this purpose? I thought someone made abushing kit where the pin size was the same, but the bushing was a larger O.D. so that you could drill out the worn steel on a hinge to make it round again, then you could install the oversozed bushing. I wonder if a hinge pin kit for a different vehicle would work...

Old 09-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's another possibility, but I haven't seen one. Only makes sense.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Thanx for the ideas guys. You gave me some good thoughts. The JB weld might be done over this weekend just to get it through a little while. But even if they don't make bushings that are over sized I could do that myself (just not this weekend) and put something in there. I saw that they sell hing kits for like $60 at autozone, Like you said though if they are mis aligned at all I woudl be fawked so I want to not do that. Hmm I will have to look this over when she gets home tonight, maybe I could just drill it out a little bit and fit a nice brash bushing in there for now. I am tryign to get ahold of my buddy see if he has time to let me borrow his welder and help this weekend to toss a bit of weld in there and then clean up the hole. That is really the best option here as it will be as strong as original if not stronger.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:40 PM

Alright I am completely confused with this one. The back pin that the springs lever arm rights on is what busted. The bottom head of that is just busted off mostly. Is this part purchasable on its own? I am going to do the busings and the regular pin while I am in there but need ot get this part.Anyone?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

If you can remove it from the hinge, then I'd say the easiest place to get one from is the junkyard. If I remember right, I think that this is held on by a snap ring of some kind, but I never tried to remove the one on my old Bravada.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 PM

I will look at it again tomorrow it looked pressed in to me. but I only gave it a quick glance. I am going to try and do the bushings on sunday morning, that piece isn't that important it really just holds the door in open positions. sucks if it is broken but worst case if I can remove it and can't find another I could harvest one from a junkyard or the passanger side door.