2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door Hinge Pin Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Good ideas, guys!
Since I've done it before on Mustangs and have to do it when it gets warm on both doors of my TBird and pass door of Bravadiva, I've been building a plan.

There is NO DOUBT hanging the door is far better and safer than rigging something to hold it up. But you need to do it in a driveway, so... HOW?!
Do what your great grandpa did.. build a tripod.

- Now I'm building this in my head, so I'm not vouching that it wont have some problems but I am sure it can work -
Depending on your lift, three 2x4 .. 10 ft long. Drill a 3/4 hole a couple inches in from one end, each. At least 8 inches length 1/2" threaded rod or bolt and appropraite washers and nuts.
Some sort of anti-skid for foot of each leg. Door or car mats.. also could use the waffle type shlf liner for non-skid.
A ratcheting cargo strap. Everyones got some of those, right? If not, why not?

Either a strong hook from the apex bolt or wrap short end of strap over the peak and hook to strap.
-You'll want to wrap an old towel around the door frame before your wrap the strap.

Got the idea? In the spring, I'll try it out and write it up and take pix.
This is the best I can find of example.. dunno if it is a good idea to post it...

Like I said.. not sure of details but it will work.

Obviously one leg toward B pillar, other two outside of door.

Added in reference to Rotti, below:

Anyone who says TyRap zip ties wont work isnt using big enough zip ties. I would not try it with anything under a foot long; generally strength goes with length. IOW use handcuff types.
Compress Spring, pull all three tight as you can, cut off one of the tails, use other two as handles to locate the spring and hold in place.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Park it by a tree that has a limb you can use?! I removed them one by one before & by rocking the door you can get a hammer & drift & tap the pins out. As for the bushings & standard screwdriver & hammer will snap them in pieces, just be careful not to damage the bushings' seat in the hinge.
I also used plenty of anti-seize on them when I installed the new ones.

If you use the heavy duty zip tie method & can't figure out how to get the 3rd zip tie undone that'll be at the rear of the spring - get a thin, narrow piece of metal or old crappy screwdriver that will fit between the coils of the spring. Heat it up with a torch & slide it through the spring & touch the zip tie. That sucker will be under so much pressure it should pop off instantly!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Beginning Member
Jhowey is on a distinguished road

Another way to get the third zip tie would be use a hacksaw blade and start cutting it.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

True, but fire is funner lol

Old 01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that a redneck tripod? hahahahahahahaha.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM
racsan is on a distinguished road

the tool is well worth the money. i had my door balanced on a fllor jack with someone help hold it steady while i changed out pins & bushings. although it may be doable to replace one pin/bushing set at a time, i felt that the stress on the other one would be too much, wouldnt want to crack a brand new bushing set or bend a pin up. the most weird thing about the whole job was that the passenger door was worse than the drivers door as far as pin/bushing wear. back doors were fine and didnt need to be messed with.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

This is literally a 10 minute job with two people. I can do it in ten by myself now.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes-Exactly! Correct tool,jack,new parts! I really don't get the whole pyramid part pettyfog was doing! 25-30 minutes tops! why make it more difficult for your self-we already own Blazers!