2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

door hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
guywm25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default door hinges

I need to replace the door hinges on my 98 blazer and was wondering if there was any suggestions as to where I can buy them other than aotuzone they seem to be a little more than expected, I have damage to the hinges, fender and door and was looking for a place to go and find body parts for a good and fair price. thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: door hinges

What exactly are you in need of here? Have the bushings worn out in your door hinges and allowed the hinge pins to wear into the hinges themselves causing egg-shaped holes?

The hinge pin replacements aren't that expensive and aren't that complicated to replace, however... The biggest problem with the replacement of the hinges on these trucks if the actual hinge plates themselves need changing is that they have to be cut off and replacements welded back on. This is very difficult to do without the proper tools to maintain alignment.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM

look, the scenario is this, a few years ago my wife and I where in an argument, I was backing up and she reached inside to open the door. the door opened, caught here car, the door did a 180. the end result was the fender bent, the door as well and the hinges "popped". The upper hinge completely busted, need a replacement, I may have to reweld a new one in place, with some hammering, I am looking for a place to buy aftermartket parts to do this. Any tips and suggestions would be helpful.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha, I guess I mis-interpretted the situation.. You can purchase them from LMCTruck.com. Give them a call if you have any questions.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Doc_G is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok I have the problem w/the egg shaped hole where my hinge pin has wallowed the door hinge. Is there a fix for this other than the hinge replacement? My wife managed to open the door so wide the spring popped out about a year ago so Ive gone springless since then. However the door was sagging like this when I bought the truck.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Administrator

I have seen some people use liquid metal to build the hole back up, then drill to size again. This will provide a good backing for the bushing.

If you know someone that is good with a welder, the hole can be built back up with weld, then with a small grinding bit, it can be brought close to size, then reamed to the correct size for the bushing. Weld will be a much more permanent fix, but is more difficult to do properly.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Doc_G is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah weld is what i was thinking as well. Just not sure what type of welding. (fluxcore, mig, tig, heili arc etc) Looks like either way I go something is gonna have to be welded. Either I weld and bore the hole or I grind the door hinge off and weld on another. Some choice.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

i would go with a mig and try to build up the hole, if you think you can, that would be the easyst route imop

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

You would have much better control with a tig. If you are good enough, you can probably tig it pretty darn close to size for minimal work to make it round.

Quick Reply: door hinges