2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door Leaking...

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road
Default Door Leaking...

My driver door seal leaks badly in the rain. Just went outside to check it since I noticed it a few days ago, and I had a puddle of water in my driver floorboard. I tried resealing the guard around the inside top of the door, and also putting double sided sticky tape on the inside of the top of the door, but water still keeps coming in. I cant seem to figure out how its getting in. When you sit in the car in the rain, you can see it coming between the doors...

Anyone else had this problem or do I just need to replace the whole stripping at the top?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem. does your door move up and down quite a bit? if it does it's probably your door hinge pins.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

replacing the hinge is pretty easy and takes no skills

if the hinge isn't the problem LMC trucks has the gasket you need

Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Mine leaks as well, although not nearly as bad as yours sounds. It's strange because my door pins seem fine (no upward movement) and seem solid. I'd re-done the weather stripping to make sure it's sealed properly, but it still leaks.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by papacope
i have the same problem. does your door move up and down quite a bit? if it does it's probably your door hinge pins.
Checked the door and no play in it.

Originally Posted by The_Beast
replacing the hinge is pretty easy and takes no skill

if the hinge isn't the problem LMC trucks has the gasket you need
Yeah seems i will need the gasket!

Originally Posted by Sisk
Mine leaks as well, although not nearly as bad as yours sounds. It's strange because my door pins seem fine (no upward movement) and seem solid. I'd re-done the weather stripping to make sure it's sealed properly, but it still leaks.
Well dam thats going to suck if I replace the weather and door seal and it still leaks! Going to have to replace the carpet here soon!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member
CTYankee is on a distinguished road

I also have the same problem on the driver's door would seem to be one of the common problems for this vehicle. Luckily it isn't a massive leak and living in southern CA there isn't a whole lot of rain. Water leaks inside between the outer door seal and the body, nothing major just enough to irritate. Checked the pin after reading through some other posts in threads here and it seems fine, no play or anything

But, when I get a chance I will go ahead and replace the pin on the driver's side and see if that helps.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm thinking I might just run another strip of narrow weather stripping along the door to see if that will cause a tight seal. I don't understand how it's leaking since there is no break in the weather stripping and it seems sealed to the door when it's closed.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

SISK, where the stripping slips onto the pillar/roof could be where your leak is coming from. Id pull the strip down, and put a narrow bead of silicone along the edge of where the strip slips on, then put the strip back on and it should seal it inside. Hopefully that's your problem, I can't see water getting past the seal where it contacts the door unless you have a wire running over the slip, like for sat-radio.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you guys are mentioning replacing the door pins because of possible play. i hope you guys are doing the bushings on the body too, cause if one is in need of replacing, then it stands to reason the other part is gonna be worn too.
i figured you guys would be smart enough to do this, i'm just mentioning that for some of the starting members, that may not be "in the know", ya know.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:02 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
you guys are mentioning replacing the door pins because of possible play. i hope you guys are doing the bushings on the body too, cause if one is in need of replacing, then it stands to reason the other part is gonna be worn too.
i figured you guys would be smart enough to do this, i'm just mentioning that for some of the starting members, that may not be "in the know", ya know.
To add to your comment

The hinge pins are not that expensive they're about $6.50 per set. That's with all the parts you need, the pin, 2 bushings, and a locking ring. So you might as well just replace uppers and lowers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Leaking...