2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Door Leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DriftinBlzr
My driver door was making a bunch of wind noise a while ago near the top front corner around the window frame. It would also leak like a sieve when I went through a car wash or heavy rain. I installed a new gasket and still had the wind noise and the water leak.

I fixed the leak after I watched an episode of "Trucks." They recommended the following:

1) Open the door.
2) Roll down the window.
3) Stand between the door and cab.
4) Place a knee against the door near the window opening.
5) Near where the leak is, hold the window frame.
6) Give a few quick tugs.

This bends the frame in toward the cab and helps give a better seal. I did this and been kicking myself ever since for buying a new door gasket.

Later, Doug
I actually remember seeing that episode now that you mention it. Might have to give that a try.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
I actually remember seeing that episode now that you mention it. Might have to give that a try.
i guess because of all the old cars i've worked on, this was on of the first things i checked when my "waterfall" started. i guess ppl think that newer cars/trucks are better built (who thinks that?), things like this wouldn't be a issue.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
MachNU is on a distinguished road

bup this back up...

Tried the whole pulling on top of the door with the window, and pulling on it with the window down. Did not do anything for me! Also tried sealing all the weatherstripping and seals with water silicone and it only barely fixed it.

The water is still coming into the car at the top fo the door only know. In two specific areas. Does anyone know if there is suppose to be a weatherstripping on the inside of the door, on the door itself? Or that possibly that the seal on the inside of the door along the truck door frame has srunk and is not getting a good seal? I also checked the hinge pin's and there is no play in them that I can see.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MachNU
bup this back up...

Tried the whole pulling on top of the door with the window, and pulling on it with the window down. Did not do anything for me! Also tried sealing all the weatherstripping and seals with water silicone and it only barely fixed it.

The water is still coming into the car at the top fo the door only know. In two specific areas. Does anyone know if there is suppose to be a weatherstripping on the inside of the door, on the door itself? Or that possibly that the seal on the inside of the door along the truck door frame has srunk and is not getting a good seal? I also checked the hinge pin's and there is no play in them that I can see.

first thing MachNU, don't ever try pulling on a door frame with the window up-they can "pop" so easily (been there, done that).
i've never seen any of the trucks that i've worked on, or stripped having a seal on the inside of the door itself. i would first check how soft the rubber on the cab is, and if it has shrunk any. look for a gap (usually along the bottom) in the seal, this will indicate that the seal has dried out and is shrinking. if the seal is still in touching all the way around, then see how "thick" the seal is, it may only new some of GM's Silicone Emulsion (keeps seals soft and stops them from sticking). i think the part # is 10953014 or 41.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
first thing MachNU, don't ever try pulling on a door frame with the window up-they can "pop" so easily (been there, done that).
i've never seen any of the trucks that i've worked on, or stripped having a seal on the inside of the door itself. i would first check how soft the rubber on the cab is, and if it has shrunk any. look for a gap (usually along the bottom) in the seal, this will indicate that the seal has dried out and is shrinking. if the seal is still in touching all the way around, then see how "thick" the seal is, it may only new some of GM's Silicone Emulsion (keeps seals soft and stops them from sticking). i think the part # is 10953014 or 41.
you read my post wrong i did it wth the window down. I am not that stupid! lol! But yeah I already siliconed the seals and around them trying to keep them from leaking. I will have to take some pictures tomorrow to give yall a better idea and to show exactly where they are leaking from.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:38 PM
BF Guru

bup this back up...

you read my post wrong i did it wth the window down. I am not that stupid! lol! But yeah I already siliconed the seals and around them trying to keep them from leaking. I will have to take some pictures tomorrow to give yall a better idea and to show exactly where they are leaking from.
first, it read like you did it both ways (which is why i highlighted the first way in Orange). second, i never ment to imply you were stupid, believe me, if i think some one is, or is acting like it, i'll call them on it. if you've never done it before, and you're not given the full instructions on it, how would you know. that, in itself, doesn't make anyone stupid.

anyways, enough about what we said, what we thought, lets see where the leak is still coming from.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
first, it read like you did it both ways (which is why i highlighted the first way in Orange). second, i never ment to imply you were stupid, believe me, if i think some one is, or is acting like it, i'll call them on it. if you've never done it before, and you're not given the full instructions on it, how would you know. that, in itself, doesn't make anyone stupid.

anyways, enough about what we said, what we thought, lets see where the leak is still coming from.
LOL I was implying that you where saying that...but yes I did misword how I wrote that...anyways...

Also note on these pictures, the double sided sticky tape, the kid who owned it before me put it there...I have no idea why...but its a pita to take off, and I am slowly working at removing it!

It has been a misty rain all night so it leaked a bit...here is a picture of the inside of the door where you can see part of where it is dripping down the door.

There here giving you a better picture showing the water that was in the door as I first opened it up...

Here is showing everywhere that I spray silicone into. It sealed up one leak that where the stripping had come off slightly from the body that it was running behind and into the vehicle.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Starting Member
bpgagirl22 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy My 98 Blazer LS Driver door is apparently leaking too!

I went out last week to run some errands after the big snow we had here in central VA and I even had bought and used the Windshield Frost Guard from QVC and love it. It works great. But then I noticed some slight droplets of water on my floormat and felt around and noticed the weather stripping at the top of the door has worn out. I'm going to NAPA Friday when I'm over there in that area and let them take a look at it and hopefully they can help me with it. My son originally thought it might be coming from under the dash like his was but it's the door seal at the top. These articles below are very helpful as far as exactly what to do. The door is not loose, just leaks. Always something!