2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

door pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default door pins

I am going to tackle replacing the door pins on my blazer, am I able to replace 1 pin at a time completely, meaning take the top pin out and replace the bushing then put the new pin and bushing in then do the same to the bottom one. or should i completely drop the door first.

thanks

Old 08-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: door pins

Easiest thing to do is have another person there to help. Remove the spring. Support the door on a jack and remove both of the pins, with the other person holding the door steady. Move the door out just enough so you can work in there, but not too much as to stress the wire pass-thru. Remove the bushings and press in the new bushings. I used a socket larger than the bushing and a bolt with some washers to press in the bushings. Once the bushings are installed, slide the door back into place and install the new pins. Then reinstall the spring. A door hinge spring compressor will help greatly in putting the door spring back in place.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 PM

can you explain more on how you pressed in the new bushings? bolt with washers? or send me some pictures tammikm@sympatico.ca

thanks

Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I basically used something like a 9/16 socket. Found myself a bolt that would fit through both the socket and the bushing. Holding the head of the bolt, place a washer large enough so it won't pull through the socket, then place the socket over the end of the bolt, hex side up. You'll then stick the bolt up through the hole where you want to press in the bushing. Then place the bushing into the hole as far as you can by hand. Place another washer over the end of the bolt and thread on the nut. Simply tighten the bolt/nut until the bushing is pressed in tight. You have to make sure that the socket doesn't catch on the bushing as the bushing will protrude through the hinge plate. You also have to make sure that the bolt stays vertical throughout the process to make sure that it is pressing in the bushing straight.

If you need more info, I can try to draw up a picture for you. I hope I've explained it well enough because I suck at drawing on a computer! LOL...

Old 08-19-2006, 03:36 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it would be impossible to do one at a time.
When I replaced mine, I found a chair that was exactly the right height (16", if I recall correctly)...I slid it under there and it held the door up perfectly while I took the pins out. I had to be careful not to let it tip over, but it held the door up nicely.
To press the bushing into the hole, I used chanelocks to push it in. I think I used a quarter between the pliers and the bushing, I can't remember.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:49 PM

what a job!! did the passenger door, I will have the shop do my side! bushings were practically welded to the pins big job on my truck! but got the one side done.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
doughboyee is an unknown quantity at this point

Should you replace the pins to also where can you get a door hinge spring compressor

Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Only place I've seen them is at Eastwood.com - Light Truck Door Hinge Spring Tool - #31202 for $16.99

Old 08-26-2006, 04:37 PM

i got mine off ebay for 10 bucks

Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
88blackzcand95blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

just got done replacing my shreeking driver side pin
not to hard of a job
pain in the *snip* part was trying to get the spring back in

after *snip* with it for a while i just tried closing the door a couple times and realized the spring doesn't really do all that mush so instead of risking losing an eye form a sping flying arround or worse yet (lol) spending twenty bucks on some tool i will never use again i just left it off!

ha *snip* you chevy engineers!

*EDIT by swartlkk* - removed foul language. Do not continue to post in this manner.

Quick Reply: door pins