2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Drive Shaft problems please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Drive Shaft problems please help!

Hey everyone so today i went to replace my u joints due to the harsh vibration i was getting while driving, i marked everything like usual and got the driveshaft out with little effort then used the normal method to pound out the old u joint and was shocked at what i saw.

Pretty messed up IMO. anyway i was trying to install the new one which i am sure i have the correct part and i could not get the second clip to seat properly. and when i finally did it was wayyyy to tight to be correct, so im assuming somewhere along the way my driveshaft yoke got bent. does this seem like a safe assumption to everyone? If so is the only way to fix it by getting a new driveshaft?

Thanks in Advance!
-Derek

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't clean up the inside of the yoke where the clips seat with a flat file, they can be difficult to get the joint to free up. I usually use my vice to support the cross pins on the u-joint and then hit the yoke behind the cup. Flip & repeat a little at a time to seat the cups deeper into the yoke and free up the joint.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you don't clean up the inside of the yoke where the clips seat with a flat file, they can be difficult to get the joint to free up. I usually use my vice to support the cross pins on the u-joint and then hit the yoke behind the cup. Flip & repeat a little at a time to seat the cups deeper into the yoke and free up the joint.
kyle im not exactly following what you mean here? could you try to explain it with a little more detail? not tryin to be rude just trying to understand , also, i think i will end up getting a used driveshaft because the lip where the clip sits below is pulled up for about half an inch, and i dont exactly think that is safe to be drivin

Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What part didn't you get?

When the joint is out, you can clean off the inner surfaces of the yoke with a flat file to allow for proper seating of the clips on the new cups. Look where the clips are now and what surface they are resting on.

Now, for your joint that is installed, you may ruin it if you were to remove it. So to loosen it up, orient the tight side of the joint vertical and then adjust the vice to support the other side. Tap on the top of the yoke to seat the cup deeper into the yoke. Flip, repeat, flip, repeat...until the joint has freed up.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What part didn't you get?

When the joint is out, you can clean off the inner surfaces of the yoke with a flat file to allow for proper seating of the clips on the new cups. Look where the clips are now and what surface they are resting on.

Now, for your joint that is installed, you may ruin it if you were to remove it. So to loosen it up, orient the tight side of the joint vertical and then adjust the vice to support the other side. Tap on the top of the yoke to seat the cup deeper into the yoke. Flip, repeat, flip, repeat...until the joint has freed up.
Thanks for the advice Kyle, i think it wad beyond the point of just tapping on it to get it to loosen up...judging by the amount of force used to get the clips in I would say the yoke was for sure bent, I attemted to bend it back to no avail. I called up my local auto parts store and they had one for $80, so I went to get it and they brought out this piece of **** driveshaft that needed new u joints and everything...so I asked if they had another and he brought one out that had a mere 2 miles on it with brand new u joints for the same price...so the problem is fixed and there is no more vibration!! Woot!!