2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver door hinge problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Sure. Some companies, (Dorman for one) make replacement hinges. The original hinge is spot welded to the body and to the door, and the welds need to be drilled out. The replacement hinge is bolted to the body & the door. The trick comes when drilling the bolt holes, they have to be perfect. It saves a whole bunch of grief, time, and money if you spend 5 minutes a month greasing the bushings

Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
v8vette84 is on a distinguished road

Hey I just got this Blazer. The PO never greased them. (As evident by them being rusty and dry) I'm just trying to fix neglected problems.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup , I know what ya mean. I bought a 2004 about a year ago, and it has the same problem. I think the PO changed the oil, and that's about it. I've changed most everything else, got a great price on it knowing it needed work though.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:37 PM
v8vette84 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Yup , I know what ya mean. I bought a 2004 about a year ago, and it has the same problem. I think the PO changed the oil, and that's about it. I've changed most everything else, got a great price on it knowing it needed work though.

Yea me too. This is a long island truck and its pretty spotless. It's has surface rust on a few piecfes but very solid! For 130k thats great! Dropping the tank usually results in broken mounts and bolts but these came out perfectly! I got this Blazer from my fiance's dad for next to nothing so I try not to badmouth how he took care of it too much. It's clean though so I can't complain too much. haha

Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM
Possum 6991 is on a distinguished road

I also have the same problem that v8vette84 has with the top hinge. Is it possible to get an extra hinge repair kit and install the smaller bushing in the door side to correct the wore out part of the hinge?

Attached Thumbnails Driver door hinge problem-hinge.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM

When the bushings wear excessively, it wears the hinge. When the hinge wears, the bushing hole gets larger. You need oversize bushings, or a new hinge. This one is .020" oversize, they also make .010" oversize: Catalog :: Total Automotive Hinge Kit Solutions

Old 01-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Possum 6991 is on a distinguished road

Is the pin .010" to .020" oversize or just the bushings? The hole that is worn too big is on the door half of the hinge. I installed the repair bushings/pin but the pin is still too small for the door half of the hinge (which is worn). I did not mic the new vs old pins to see if they were the same. On the top hinge the bushing is mounted in the half that is fixed to the body. I was thinking of installing a bushing in the hinge half that is fixed to the door to correct the hinge wearing that hole which allows the door to sag (so the top hinge would have 3 or 4 bushings in it). It looks like the bushing is thicker than the hinge half so I would have to file/grind it down to the correct thickness. Or do I have this all wrong?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:20 AM

The replacement pins are the same diameter as the original pins. The outside diameter of the bushings is larger. The bushings must be pressed in until they bottom out. They must fit tightly. They can't turn when the door opens and closes. If they do, you need bigger bushings, or a new hinge. That's why the O.D. of the bushings is splined, (to keep them from turning).

EDIT:

On the upper hinge: The bushings are pressed into the body half of the hinge. The upper bushing goes down from the top. The lower bushing goes up from the bottom. The pin goes up from the bottom, (pointed end of pin goes up). The area next to the shoulder on the pin is splined. It presses into the lower hole of the door half of the hinge until it bottoms out on the hinge. The weight is carried on the flange of the upper bushing, against the body half of the hinge.

On the lower hinge: The bushings are pressed into the door half of the hinge. The upper bushing goes down from the top. The lower bushing goes up from the bottom. The pin goes down from the top, (pointed end of pin goes down). The area next to the shoulder on the pin is splined. It presses into the upper hole of the body half of the hinge until it bottoms out on the hinge. The weight is carried on the flange of the lower bushing, against the body half of the hinge.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-02-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarify