2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver's Side window

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 AM
rlarge2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver's Side window

Has anyone had a problem with the 2000 blazer driver's window, I got in the other day and it would not go down but about 20 min. later it did, and know it won't go down at all.

I'm thinking maybe the window motor and if it is can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace it?

Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Driver's Side window

If it won't go down, try hitting the door panel with your hand while pushing the switch. If that work it probably is a worn out motor.
Door Window Regulator Motor Replacement
Removal Procedure
Caution: Do not attempt to service the regulator motor without releasing the counterbalance spring tension. The regulator lift arm is under tension from the counterbalance spring and can cause personal injury if the motor is removed from the regulator.

Remove the window regulator. Refer to Front Side Door Window Regulator Replacement or Rear Side Door Window Regulator Replacement .

Drill a hole through the window regulator and the sector gear.

Install a bolt and a nut through the hole in order to lock the sector gear in position.
Drill out the rivets that secure the power window motor to the window regulator.
Remove the power window motor from the window regulator.
Installation Procedure
Install the power window motor to the window regulator.

Important: Remove the nut and the bolt that were used in order to secure the sector gear in position.

Install the rivets in order to secure the power window motor to the window regulator.
Install the window regulator.
Welcome to the forum. I hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/A09AA16D005A487CB874CDA81E79F50B.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2006, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

ok.....here's the fix...I have a 2000 blazer....this week was the first time I had issues with the drivers side power window...wouldn't go up...lucky for me my door pannels all loose anyways...I just peeled it up a bit....wiggled the wires.......no more problems......the the wire wiggle first before drilling holes.......seriously.......it fixed it!!!!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Some good advice here, but "wiggling wires" is NEVER going to completely fix an electrical problem. At the very least there is a loose connection that needs to be repaired to prevent future concerns. Of course you always check for loose or corroded connections before you replace any electrical component, but in my experience with these windows, it is almost always a faulty window motor that causes this concern, and I would be willing to bet that paddle girl's motor will fail in the near future. As far as this regulator goes, I fix window concerns literally EVERY DAY and this is definitely one of the more complicated regulators to remove and repair, I'ts a job that can be done by a novice, but you should have a good understanding of how it all works and a pretty comprehensive set of tools, like a hammer, center punch, a good drill,a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and rivet gun just to name a few. And please don't forget the hazards of that counterbalance spring! The regulator arms are made of very roughly stamped steel and if that motor is released without retaining that spring, It could easily cut your fingers clear off! If you don't have any experience with these you should probably take it to someone who does. And oh yea Welcome to the site!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member
gmaltese is an unknown quantity at this point

had this same problem, window will not go up, i was so mad i hit the button panel and it started to work

Old 08-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure about the window switches but I know my mirror switch which is right infront of my window switches was flakey as all hell.... so I pulled it and yes they put a rubber sheath over the top to help prevent water from gettin' in it but looks like it didn't quite do the job... those switches are right in the line of fire of rain if you crack your window like I do (yeah I'mma smoker) and the rain sometimes gets down in there and will corrode the switch... my mirror switch was a HELL of a mess... and I pulled it out and took it apart (SHEEZUS there's ALOT of tiny little contacts in that thing) and cleaned it and filled it with some non-conductive electronic grease to help prevent it from doin' it again... just a suggestion... it's REAL easy to get that swtich assembly out inspect it... fyi carefull when pullin' that switch apart or you'll bust the bulbs in the switches.... mine were already corroded and broken off so I'mma put leds in there and remedy that problem REAL quick like...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
omalley576 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am writing this as I am repairing. I wanted to make a few corrections to the previous how-to.

Look at https://blazerforum.com/m_23879/tm.htm for some pictures and more actual detailed information on HOW TO do things other than just telling you TO do things.

DO NOT DRILL THROUGH YOUR SECTOR GEAR... UNLESS you have NO WAY of moving the arm at all. When I did mine it would move in small increments, there is ALREADY a hole there for you to do just what the drilling would accomplish, accept if you can move the gear and arm you just saved yourself some nasty sweat work you didn't need to do.

Lastly DO NOT REPLACE THE RIVETS. Come on, what idiot designed it to be this way in the first place? EVERYTHING else in that door is bolted on, and almost none of it will ever need replacing like window motors do. If you take care of your car well enough you will be replacing plenty of these babies before you even think about an engine or tranny overhaul. But I can guarantee there are not as many replactments for your ashtray or switches! You can bolt the motor to the regulator, and the regulator to the door, there is no need for stupid rivets. Rivets have their place, and this is not the time, nor the place for stupid rivets. What if you have to replace it again? You gonna drill out more rivets and replace rivets with a riveter you probably don't own. I don't know about anyone else, but I have to beg borrow or steal to get one because I never use them for anything. Rivets are only necessary when you cannot, and I mean CAN NOT get to BOTH sides of what you are attaching, and even then you can still use bolts if you think ahead in your design and weld some nuts onto that other side in earlier stages of production where you would still have access to that side. Sorry, soap box!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
dax44 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem. I took apart the door panel, gave the motor a rap with a wrench and it works great .... for a few weeks and then you repeat the whole thing again. What a hassle. I picked up a used one from a wrecker, but these are hardto come by - lots of window motor problems on these models. A new unit is too pricey for me.

Banging the panel works if you're lucky, but only for so long. I tried adjusting the screws on the motor because I thought it was maybe going too far up and getting jammed, no help there.

Doug

Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 AM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

My driver's side window goes down then I go to put it up. Nothing happens. I have to pull it up with my fingers then it starts wqorking. Coud this mean the window motor is starting to die?

Kevin

Quinnman105

Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is mostlikely caused by a weak motor. It could also be caused by a misalignment of the window in it's track. Does the window rock forward or back as it gets to the bottom of its travel?

Quick Reply: Driver's Side window