2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Easiest and Cheapest way to replace Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Besel53 is on a distinguished road
Question Easiest and Cheapest way to replace Catalytic Converter?

My 2000 LT 4x4 4DR has the "Rattling Cat" issue. Throwing the 420 code for the O2 sensor now. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to put a new one in. I don't have a welder. Wondering if I can just cut the old one out, and use adapters and clamps to put in a new one? Or do I buy the whole thing, Y pipes and cat to the muffler flange and bolt that in?

I'm sure this was caused by the spider injector leaking previously, but it has been replaced with the MFI style now.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Besel53
My 2000 LT 4x4 4DR has the "Rattling Cat" issue. Throwing the 420 code for the O2 sensor now. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to put a new one in. I don't have a welder. Wondering if I can just cut the old one out, and use adapters and clamps to put in a new one? Or do I buy the whole thing, Y pipes and cat to the muffler flange and bolt that in?

I'm sure this was caused by the spider injector leaking previously, but it has been replaced with the MFI style now.
You can put in universal cats, but typically they are welded in. My advice, let an independent muffler shop do it. It's a very simple thing for them and not worth your trouble. You can shop around. I'm sure it's competitive. Don't go to Midas or any franchise shop unless you want to pay a lot.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-10-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Suggest replacing the pre-cat at the same time; it is the smaller "bulge" in the Y-pipe. I got a replacement Y-pipe and did it myself. I sawed the old one and it came out in two pieces however the new one required lowering a cross member to get it in. Used a clamp at the joint and new bolts ( really rusty, corroded) at the exhaust manifolds. Took about an hour or so to do.
Getting to the exhaust manifold bolts requires some extensions, impact sockets, hammer, penetrating oil, cold engine.

Have fun.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:20 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Suggest replacing the pre-cat at the same time; it is the smaller "bulge" in the Y-pipe. I got a replacement Y-pipe and did it myself. I sawed the old one and it came out in two pieces however the new one required lowering a cross member to get it in. Used a clamp at the joint and new bolts ( really rusty, corroded) at the exhaust manifolds. Took about an hour or so to do.
Getting to the exhaust manifold bolts requires some extensions, impact sockets, hammer, penetrating oil, cold engine.

Have fun.

If I remember correct, only the California emissions vehicles came with the pre cat, so his may not have it

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
You can put in universal cats, but typically they are welded in. My advice, let an independent muffler shop do it. It's a very simple thing for them and not worth your trouble. You can shop around. I'm sure it's competitive. Don't go to Midas or any franchise shop unless you want to pay a lot.
Yeah, Midas said about 350. The other local places weren't much less, I think because of the labor to take the crossmember down. I think I have a plan. Ordered a cat and an adapter extension pipe that I know will work well in front of the cat when I cut it the right length. Might be interesting behind it adapting it to the pipe, but I'm just going to have to figure it out when I get the old one out. If I can save 200 bucks and do it myself, I will. If I need to weld it, I can borrow a welder from a buddy and give it a shot. Just been a long time since I did any welding.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LannyL81

Have fun.
Yeah, that looks like a lot of fun to drop that crossmember. My bolts for that are really rusty. Would like to avoid that if I can. Mine doesn't have a pre-cat. Has been a MN rig its whole life.

Originally Posted by chevyriders
If I remember correct, only the California emissions vehicles came with the pre cat, so his may not have it

Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Beginning Member
Agile is on a distinguished road

I did my Y a couple of weeks back. The top bolts of the flange to the manifold was the most difficult part. You do have to lower the crossmember. I was able to get it in without dropping it. Nice not to have the death rattle from the old cat. Since my exhaust was welded to the y, I ended up replacing everything manifold back. Just a lot of time on your back. I dream of a lift. Mine was a Midwestern truck, so plenty of rusted bolts.