2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Easiest V8 Swap Question (Probably)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by zs_v8jimmy
Sorry about that, my original build was for a 4x4 but this new donor is a 2WD vehicle. So 2WD is the vehicle in question.

I had read about using a Corvette style fuel filter for the return, I'll update my original post to reflect that. Also not afraid to throw in a new oil pan if need be. I need to swing by my storage and check the tailshaft length of the actual TH350. It came out of a 1978 C10, I know that. Lol
C10 pickups only came with a long shaft. I have a long shaft TH350 in a first gen S10 and trans sits on my stock crossmember just fine. My vehicle came with a V8 cobbled in, so don't know if driveshaft was original - but I had the one in it shortened an inch or so when I completely redid the engine mounting. Because mine is lowered 3" in the rear, I do use a 3/4" spacer and poly mount to keep the rear of the trans pointed appropriately to keep the driveline angles correct. Get "Clinometer", a free app for your Android. Works better than angle gauges you will buy.

Almost forgot to tell you to make sure headers clear the driver's upper a-arm at full travel when locating the engine - or you will end up with header tubes smashed flat on the bottom. (original reason why I redid the engine mounting in my vehicle). My engine was originally mounted on homemade mounts when I bought the vehicle, way to low and then too far rearward to clear the oil pan. Distributor cap touched the firewall.

I don't know about the Transdapt mounts, but be advised that the S10 swap mounts you buy from Jags That Run have about 3/4" offset to the passenger side. This helps with clearance for the P/S.

It's quite difficult to get things to fit exactly as they should.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

when i did my v8 swap on a 95 i had i just used the engine mounted fuel pump and pulled from the return line on the sending unit which actually went to the bottom of the tank... just didnt have a screen on it so i made sure to never go under a 1/4 tank.

i did end up having to use the transdapt engine mount adapters. dont really remember much other issues, used a corvette radiator where the condenser goes, ran the mechanical fan though

also cant use stock v8 manifolds. ended up using like early 90s camaro manifolds, they sit right against the block