2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I simply don't know...98 Blazer LT fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM
tkennedy1022 is on a distinguished road
Default I simply don't know...98 Blazer LT fuel issues?

Ok, so I have a 98 Blazer LT 4.3 S10, etc. etc. Love my Blazer, sadly the last owners didn't take care of it at all. (Last time I let my Dad by me a lien sale vehicle...)

So, my problem: (where to start)

Throwing SES codes. Back in December was a B2S1 code so I replaced the O@ sensor. That didn't fix it. It was the cat. So, after having to drive it with a code for a while in April, finally got the cat replaced. Well....SES light is back on. My mechanic showed that the B2S1 was weak and he said it probably went bad because the cat was soooooo clogged.

Well, I had to drive my baby 1100 miles from CA to CO because of a last minute move. She did fine. Until the beginning of June.

So, it's been in the upper 90s here in CO. I had to Drive 75ish miles (mostly interstate ~75mph) to drop someone off. My Blazer did fine. On my way home I decided to stop at Starbucks off the interstate, slowed down to turn left and as I went to accelerate through the turn SHE DIED IN THE INTERSECTION!!!!! Needless to say I was freaked. I put in P, turned the key and she started up just fine. Hmmmm.

So I kept going to the drive-thru Starbucks. While waiting for my drink I noticed she was overheating! Oh hell!!! I left Starbucks and went to get back on the interstate. At the light to turn on the ramp, she died at acceleration. AGAIN! Well, I got on the interstate and was driving ~55, her temp went down and she acted just fine.

Got back to my neck of the woods, got off the interstate and guess what. She died again. Not when I slow and stop, when I accelerate. Put her in P and she started.

She did this every time I slowed and tried to accelerate. Die at acceleration then would start and go.

Well, I let her sit for a few days. Went to church on Sunday and she was fine.

A couple days later.....she didn't want to start. Acted like she was out of gas After about 5 minutes she finally started (smelling like she flooded). But no death at acceleration.

A couple days later, she wouldn't start. Acted like she was out of gas. After about 15 minutes I gave up. No flooding smell this time.

And now it's been a total of a month since this happened. I went to start her and she started just fine. I'm afraid to go any distance though. Toting around an autistic 5 yr old is NOT fun if your vehicle dies.

WTF?!!!! Can any of you brilliant mechanic know-hows provide any information?

I have a fuel pump on it's way as that seems like the most likely culprit. I am getting a new O2 sensor as well. But I just want to make sure and get some input from Blazer enthusiasts that know how to do mechanical things as I do not. I make a mean BBQ sauce though!

Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but it sounds like your mechanic fixed a symptom and not a cause. If it sounds like its flooding, you must find the cause of the flooding. Too much fuel will clog a catalytic converter quick, compounding your problems.

I would bet you have issues with the fuel injection spider in the intake manifold that caused the original catalytic converter problem way back when and went un-diagnosed/un-repaired; costing you not only the cost of the parts that have now gone bad as a result, but also in the fuel that you have blown out the tail pipe since.

A fuel pressure test & leak down test would tell you if the pump is ok. An injector balance test would tell you if you have any problem electronic injectors. The only way to tell if a poppet nozzle has gone bad is to pull the upper plenum off & reconnect the lines to the spider then run the injector balance test with each poppet nozzle directed into a glass jar to watch the spray pattern. The upgraded MFI spider is MUCH more reliable than the SCFI spider that came standard on your truck and can be purchased for around $200 online.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM

The flooding issue was only once when I kept trying to turn it over. I don't usually give my vehicle gas when I start it but on this occasion I did. And I could smell gas.

It could be injectors? Who knows. Like I said, the previous owners DID NOT take care of this vehicle. With 220k I replaced what looked like original shocks. NO JOKE! $4K later, she has a new front end, all new 4WD components (diff was ok. WHEW), new cat, new vacuum lines, new water pump, new idler pulley, among other things.

So, where do I get this tests done?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You can rent a fuel pressure gauge from autozone. Its one of the easiest diagnostic tests there is. Hook up the tester to the schrader valve on the fuel rail behind and to the right of the throttle body. Turn the key on but engine off. The initial number should be about 60 to 65 and shouldn't leakdown below 55 within 10 minutes. Post back the initial number and the number after 10 miinutes.

Last edited by 50lb_cat; 07-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Smelling gas on a modern fuel injected vehicle is not because you 'gave it gas' while trying to start it. It is a sign of issues with the fuel delivery system in one form or another.

Injector balance test requires much more expensive equipment than can be rented so that's not something you'll likely be able to do. As an alternative, you could pull your spark plugs & take a look at them. Compare them with each other to see if you can find ones that are different (black & sooty, wet, etc) that might be signs of an injector issue.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Well, I went to Autozone and the guy suggested I put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and see if that helps. He said it costs $150 deposit to rent the gauge so I didn't do that as I am getting the fuel pump replaced Saturday because everything on my Blazer is old. I don't see the harm in replacing the fuel pump. I will check the spark plugs and see if they show signs that that injector is going out.

Thanks for the information.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I hate to say it, but it sounds like your mechanic fixed a symptom and not a cause. If it sounds like its flooding, you must find the cause of the flooding. Too much fuel will clog a catalytic converter quick, compounding your problems.

I would bet you have issues with the fuel injection spider in the intake manifold that caused the original catalytic converter problem way back when and went un-diagnosed/un-repaired; costing you not only the cost of the parts that have now gone bad as a result, but also in the fuel that you have blown out the tail pipe since.

A fuel pressure test & leak down test would tell you if the pump is ok. An injector balance test would tell you if you have any problem electronic injectors. The only way to tell if a poppet nozzle has gone bad is to pull the upper plenum off & reconnect the lines to the spider then run the injector balance test with each poppet nozzle directed into a glass jar to watch the spray pattern. The upgraded MFI spider is MUCH more reliable than the SCFI spider that came standard on your truck and can be purchased for around $200 online.
Kyle, Not to hijack this tread but where can a person MFI spider upgrade for $200. I have been looking because I maybe headed that way myself & I'm see more like $300-$400.
Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

You can get the delphi conversion kit from rockauto for $218.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by 50lb_cat
You can get the delphi conversion kit from rockauto for $218.
Thanks, I missed that one. Do you have to buy a different mounting bracket?
Thanks Again