2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electric Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electric Fuel Pump

I have a 2000 Lt Blazer 4.3 4x4. 105K

I would like some advise on this situation. I believe I have a failing fuel pump in the tank. Hard starting and no I have not done a pressure check yet, it just shows all the signs of a failing pump. My question is this: Can I put a electric fuel pump in between the failing pump and the motor? Would this relieve the failing fuel pump and help it out for awhile? I really hate to drop that tank, getting old and lot harder when your old and to have someone else do it is like a grand. I have many doc visits to make at the VA which is 70 miles away one way. (I'm also a disabled vet, so it makes it twice as hard on me to get under there and drop that tank).

If I can do this, where would be the best place to put a electric pump and how would I wire it up?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by dman001948; 12-14-2011 at 05:33 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

I'm getting old too but still manage to do most things by myself. Hard starting may or may not be the fuel pump. One zero cost thing you can try is turn the key but don't start the car. The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds when you turn the key so by doing that a few times you build up fuel pressure. If it starts OK after that it's an indicator that something in the fuel supply is going bad. If it still starts hard then I'd turn my attention to the ignition system. A fuel pressure gauge is one of those items that's really required to do your own work on newer cars along with a scan tool.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the advise. I do turn the key and hear the fuel pump come on for about two seconds as you stated. Then I go to the old faithfull start it like it has a carb on it. After awhile it will start. Sometimes its like turn the key and it starts, then sometimes its clug-clug then it gets going. I know I'm bad at getting the gages and doing the test. I just have to get off my rear end and do it..My problems are not only age (64) but many limitations on physical work as well...I still do what I can, but I feel thats coming to an end sooner then later. I can just bend over and the back goes out, Rt knee is completley shot, won't bend or go straight all the way anymore and on and on. Tommorrow I go to the VA to see a Nero Surgerion (sp). Right front part on my brain is shinking causing memory lose etc, hands ani't so steady anymore either. But, I might be slow, but I will get there!
Thanks for the advise.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your service, Sir.

Installing an inline fuel pump, unfortunately, will not work without removing the old pump and modifying the pick up in the tank. For all the fooling around involved with that, might as well just fix it right.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Thank you for your input...I will scrap that idea.

CWO Airborne Ranger Retired

Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Probably a good idea The problem is finding a pump that will pull fuel from the tank and create the 75-110 psi of pressure necessary, (regulated pressure is 60-66psi). The OEM pump in the tank is a rotary vane style and just has to push the fuel, not lift it. Some of the older Fords used a low pressure, high volume pump inside the tank and a high pressure pump outside the tank to feed the injectors, which is what you'd need to do.... far too much monkey business involved to modify it.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Probably a good idea The problem is finding a pump that will pull fuel from the tank and create the 75-110 psi of pressure necessary, (regulated pressure is 60-66psi). .
No, it will work. All he has to do is put the gas tank on the roof rack and let gravity do it's thing. He just needs a lot of duct tape to make sure it doesn't fall off during sudden stops.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM

Sounds like something you'd see in the parking lot of Wally mart !

Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 AM

Duct Tape! Did you say Duct tape? Now I know that will work. WE use it all the time in the Army...hahahahahahahahaha...But, WE call it 100 mph tape...same thing...
Christmas is almost upon us plus new years...and with all the work my wife has line up for me, hanging lights, putting up tree, naps, etc..Things are on the back burner until after the first of the yr. But, Once I get it started, its good for the day, starts right up all day long. But the next day, its back to the old same thing...thats why I think its a fuel problem..but could be wrong, been there before...Plus I just had a CTA scan, whole body, hopefully that will tell me where all the clogs are. Then about 4 more appointments with the VA between now and the 13th (Friday the 13th)...This is really cutting into my nap time...hahahahahahaha.

You all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

With the engine starting fine for the rest of the day after being started the first time....this just does not sound like a fuel pump problem.....more like an ignition one. Have you checked for spark at first start-up? Perhaps weak spark.

Just thinking out loud while typing.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel Pump