2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical buzzing noise coming from Ign. swith box under dash...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
The89Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical buzzing noise coming from Ign. swith box under dash...

Hello, i have a 2001 Chevy 2 door blazer. The truck was having massive electrical issues, from just dieing when driving, to the gauges not turning on, which in turn tossed out tons of codes for transmission not shifting, not allowing to Pass NYS inspection. 5,000 dollars later in parts alone, from fuel pumps, to fuel tanks, to fuel tank filler necks due to EVAP codes, to second dairy air pumps, to maf sensor, to pressure switches, to EGRs, O2s,, rotor, ign.cap, wires, plugs, a list of so many other things along the lines ...its all been replaced.

So, finally, me not being the original owner of the truck..(my sister had been) she finally got tired of it being unreliable. She went to go trade it in, the dealer would only give her 500 dollars for it after she had just put all this money into it..(aside from listed above, she also replaced Tire's, breaks, rotors, calipers, rear end diff cover, bearings all the way around, shocks, all new front suspension parts, new heater core, oil lines), i told her id rather see it burn. I immediately noticed that the ignition switch had issues. She was told 5 years ago from the shop she took it too it may need to be replaced....fast forward to today...the truck lost all power, key did nothing. However prior to this, she was saying that when the interior lights turned on, or when she locked the truck by the key pad she would hear a buzzing noise coming from under the dash, or just randomly it would start buzzing.

Well, i put in a new switch just now, connected the battery, and the buzzing is coming from the larger possibly main harness just directly to the left of the ignition switch harness, when i i touch the box, it vibrates..(haha)...

Anyone deal with an issue like this?

Thanks in advance for any information.....

**********What an AMAZING PLACE to hid relays..im assuming that's what's buzzing....talk about a **** in my face.

Last edited by The89Blazer; 12-12-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take a picture of the 'box' you are talking about?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Can you take a picture of the 'box' you are talking about?

Yes, its located just above the Emergency Brake pedal, and behind the main frame of the dash board. It has a massive amount of wires plugged into to bottom of it, which you can clearly see if you look under the dash area. . Im assuming the Relay that i replaced is the one controlling the interior lights.

Plot thickens, seems as though this is completely a different problem from the ignition switch. There's some sort of short in the vehicle. I replaced the relay with a working unit, and it continues to buzz. It controls the interior lights, and more then likely the key fob as well (seeing as tho the fob does not work). When i pull the relay out from the relay box, the interior lights are exceptionally dim, and will not shut down period, ignition turned on or off they remain on. Im thinking possibly a door/hatch or hood switch/wire is picking up a constant 12v.power somewhere along the travels of the power wires. I suspect a door.....and i thought Audi's had electrical issues...

I will post pictures of this mysterious relay box as soon as i can get them emailed off my phone.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-12-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds more like the RKE module.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

This would be the relay unit im referring too.

The one relay that is missing is the one that is buzzing.

That RKE module, is that for the key fob and only the key fob?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Ok, that definitely isn't the RKE module (which stands for remote keyless entry). That is the body relay block. Can you determine which relay is the problem?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, that definitely isn't the RKE module (which stands for remote keyless entry). That is the body relay block. Can you determine which relay is the problem?

i didn't reconnect the keyless entry module, i just did, i noticed it was under the panel, i plugged the blue wire in, the fob works fine. Yes, its the one that i have removed from the block, as you look at the picture its the lower right relay. When unplugged, the interior lights do not turn on as they should.

Also, i notice that when buzzing the under dash lights turn on, yet not the overhead light.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Its hard to see that there is one missing.. Sounds like the courtesy light relay. If the buzzing stops when this relay is removed, you may have a door switch problem.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member

Its hard to see that there is one missing.. Sounds like the courtesy light relay. If the buzzing stops when this relay is removed, you may have a door switch problem.

Its has to be the courtesy light relay. However, there are 2 problems making me believe there is some kind of short. When removed, the lights appear to be "dim" sometimes. Also, the Overhead light does not turn on at this time when the relay is buzzing. Im going to inspect the door switches, and then move along from that point..i suspect the passenger door switch.

Although, i thought a buzzing relay indicated a short, also the slight "dim" lights seem to have a power source doing so. Could also be the hood light, which is more exposed to the weather elements.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Here's the best I could do at the moment... I can't think too straight anymore. Battling a killer migraine at the moment. Hopefully this helps:

Attached Thumbnails Electrical buzzing noise coming from Ign. swith box under dash...-01_ctsy_sch1of2.gif   Electrical buzzing noise coming from Ign. swith box under dash...-01_ctsy_sch2of2.gif  

Quick Reply: Electrical buzzing noise coming from Ign. swith box under dash...