2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer stalling on right hand turns and stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 PM
Akira is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer stalling on right hand turns and stopping

1999 Blazer LT

I love my Blazer. I've put on the double roller timing chain and installed the good fuel spider with the individual fuel injectors.

So I've had no issues with my Blazer until about a week ago when I decided to do a quick day job and replace my timing cover. 3 days later I finally finished it and no more oil leak!

Here's where the problem began...

After doing the timing cover, it stalled out on me, but started right up and I drove it home.
Next day it ran great so I ran to the parts store and grabbed stuff for another car and came home. Stalled at the corner....crap. Stalls on a right hand turn.

Did research but didn't find anything so I started poking around and found a hose disconnected on the intake. (The one at the back that connects to the valve cover and goes to the throttle body) Nope...

A few days later it sputtered and stalled getting on to the freeway. It's a fairly steep uphill on-ramp. Ran fine on the freeway, but sputtered when I really pushed it to passing gear going up a long hill. It finally died getting off the freeway and I coasted to a stop on the off-ramp. Wouldn't start. Crap.... buddy towed me home.

Now I'm pissed. Replaced the fuel pump and filter. Running! Nope.... stalled at the same corner by my house.

Replaced the ICM and IACV. It runs! Nope... stalled at the coffee stand with the cute girls working.

Replaced the crank sensor connector. Runs! Nope... stalled getting onto the freeway on the same steep on-ramp as before.

Doesn't die, but started to act up like before. Sputters and stalls. Dies on slower right hand turns and coming to a stop. Only when hot. Never when it's cold.

Here's what I'm finding: Only happens when it's hot, when my speed is above 0, on a right hand turn or coming to a stop.

Using my code reader (Actron CP9580a) I checked the codes
Codes found:

P1351 - Ignition coil output high / pulse detected - ground cylinder 1

P0341 - Camshaft Position sensor A circuit range / Performance B1

P0339 Crankshaft Position sensor A circuit Intermittent

I replaced the distributor (new) about 2 months ago and no issues. Never had any issues until I did the timing cover.

Am I missing something?

Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Any of the three could cause the condition.

P1351 - I would definitively pull all the ignition wires from the coil over the distributor to the spark plug and check on everything.

P0341 + P0339 - Are the sensors for these located inside the timing cover or attached to it?

Continuity and correct voltage or ohm reading?

Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

The positioning of your crank sensor has an extremely tight tolerance. You have to be pretty **** about putting the timing cover just right. I'd wonder if your CKP is not positioned correctly? Suggesting that is is either too near the tone ring or too far from it. Remove your CKP and see if the head of it is scored like the tone ring has been hitting it. Sometimes you have to add a 0.5mm paper shim that is meant for the purpose. They sell it at auto parts stores. Make sure the CKP sensor is seated fully and not cocked or anything. You also need to have a crank relearn done.

EDIT: Where is that corner with the cute girls? Maybe I'll stall my truck there too!

Last edited by rockp2; 04-19-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:19 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

One other thing to check closely is your B(-) ground wire to your block. As I'm sure you know it grounds right there by the CPK sensor. If your motor mounts are tired or the cable is stretched to taunt, or any other number of issues with the cable, you could be losing the vehicle ground when your making the right hand turns or putting a lot of torque on the engine going uphill. I would go ahead and disconnect the ground and clean the mounting location real well with sand paper or a wire brush.