2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Encoder motor install problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member
gusszgs is on a distinguished road
Default Encoder motor install problems

Hi gang,
I'm in the process of trying to install my encoder motor and I'm not having much luck. Problem is I'm trying to line up the gear from the transfer case with the gear in the encoder motor.
I can move the TC gear, approx 30* or so but not really enough to get the motor to line up. It's quit difficult to move it, I'm just using a 9/16 wrench.....it just feels like I going to bust something (besides my knuckles).
Is the only one direction I should be going in? I can move it clockwise and counter clockwise but like I said only about 30*. I can get it to the 12 and 6 o'clock position but it really needs to be at about 2 and 10.
Maybe I'm just not putting enough grunt behind the wrench. Also does this gear spin a whole 360* when going through the all the ranges?
Any help would be much appreciated. Jim

Old 10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
Stitch17 is on a distinguished road

You didn't leave the encoder motor plugged in and try to switch it into 4wd did ya? Try moving the transfer case so it's close to where the encoder motor is, then turn the gear on the encoder motor.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Stitch17
You didn't leave the encoder motor plugged in and try to switch it into 4wd did ya? Try moving the transfer case so it's close to where the encoder motor is, then turn the gear on the encoder motor.
No, I have the battery disconnected......I had one of the wires (orange) from the 4-pin weatherpak block rotted, so I needed to fix that first. I put a new terminal in and soldered up the wire and all is good.
I thought it was a "no-no" to try and move the gear in the motor itself.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You can rotate the shift sector shaft in the transfer case to match the positioning of the new encoder motor. DO NOT attempt to turn the motor.
I invoke the name of swartlkk because it carries more weight than mine! DO NOT turn the TCEM! You will mess it up. it is surprisingly a huge sissy, and easy to screw up!

Last edited by ABN31B; 10-26-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not already have all of the wheels off the ground, get them off the ground. Put the transmission in neutral and turn the rear driveshaft while you try to rotate the shift sector shaft. You should be able to feel all of the detent positions in the transfer case. It will rotate more than 30*. I think you are just binding up against the gears.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Kyle, I'll try that when I get home from work today. I did try it in neutral and the truck is up off all 4 tires, and I did rotate the rear axle but only a bit. I give it another shot. Should I be able to turn the gear either way?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update

Ok, just a little update on my 2000 Blazer.
For the life of me I could not get the encoder motor back on, so I decided to take the encoder moter apart.....was pretty simple really, a few torx screws and it come apart.
The unit itself inside is pretty much a housing incaseing the drive motor gear, an intermediate gear and the gear that drives the TC shaft.
What I did is repositioned the gear that mates to the TC drive so that I could istall the unit back on and bolt it up. Anyway, it bolted back on with no issues but it looks like I'm back to square one.
Still no 4x4, so far I've cleaned ANY suspect electrical connections (at the encoder motor) and today I checked the actuator under the battery, which works great. I also checked the firewall solnoid (sp) and it's operates correctly.
Finally today, I pulled the PS kick panel and inspected the TCCM, which was interesting as it was fairly rusty (the body) so I took it apart and cleaned it up with a wire wheel, checked the connections, and there were a couple of suspect terminals (greenish) so I cleaned them up the best I could, then checked continuity and they were good. So, after all that I was hoping I may have found the culprit to my problem, but no luck, nothing has changed.
All I get is the service 4wd light in the dash, no lights at the push buttons, no clicking, nothing.
Couple of questions though, if the encoder motor is toast would I still get some lights flashing on the buttons? I'll assume not.
Same for the TCCM?
Finally, I know I should be taking this in and having it scanned, and I will cause I'm not just going to throw money and parts at it. I'm just tying to do what ever I can, as the truck is not on the road yet. Is there anything else I should be checking or have overlooked? Dash switch maybe? TIA, Jim

Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you did not change the orientation of the output to the encoder when you moved the gears inside. If you did, that encoder motor will never be able to attain the proper position for each gear. If all you did was remove the motor & brake portion, then you should be good.

As far as the lights on the dash, that is all in the TCCM. The green crap on the terminals is not good. If you can, remove each terminal and clean them individually. A terminal removal tool helps greatly. I picked up a 3 piece set at a local autoparts store for $4. You can then adjust the terminal to tighten up the tension on the pin in the TCCM.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I hope you did not change the orientation of the output to the encoder when you moved the gears inside. If you did, that encoder motor will never be able to attain the proper position for each gear. If all you did was remove the motor & brake portion, then you should be good.

As far as the lights on the dash, that is all in the TCCM. The green crap on the terminals is not good. If you can, remove each terminal and clean them individually. A terminal removal tool helps greatly. I picked up a 3 piece set at a local autoparts store for $4. You can then adjust the terminal to tighten up the tension on the pin in the TCCM.
Hummm, I feel kinda sick now... lol
I think I did, change the position, but I had to. If this is the little white gear that fits inside the steel gear and the 6 pin harness plugs to.
I must say, this is a bit of a challenge.
I'll p/u one of those tools if I can......sounds slick.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Between the 2 of us, we may have smoked 2 perfectly functional TCEMs. ROFL! Us <-- FTL!

Quick Reply: Encoder motor install problems