2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine cranks over but don't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member
blazinjay83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Engine cranks over but don't start

I did a lot of reading in here back when first purchased my Blazer, I know there are a lot of knowledgeable members in this forum.... hoping for some good advise.

I have a 2001 2dr 2wd Blazer with a 4.3L V6 110,000 miles. I've had this truck for three years and have never had a problem till now.

Here's whats going on....

My Blazer started and ran fine on the way to work....8 hours later not so much.

It would crank over like a mad man but would not start. So I bought a can of starting fluid and it fired right up....for about 5 secs then die.

For about 10-15 tries it would start on its own without the starting fluid only to die seconds later. I could get it to rev up pretty high then it would stall even while my foot was on the gas peddle. It seemed like it just wasn't getting any gas.

Had to get towed home only to find that it ran like champ as soon as it got off the truck, took it around the block a couple of times, it ran great, then went to bed embarrassed, got up the next morning and it would just crank without starting. (Very frustrating)

I changed the fuel filter this morning but still nothing. While I was down there tinkering around I had my buddy turn the ignition to the on position and realized I wasn't hearing the fuel pump prime like I normally do, which is leading me to believe that it is a fuel pump issue.

I'm no mechanic and usually do a lot more breaking things than fixing things but before I started trying to diagnose and fix this problem myself I figured I would consult the experts.

So, thats were I'm at now. Any advise ?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with a fuel pressure test as described in the Tech Article (DIY) section.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks swartlkk, I was hoping to get a reply from you. I'll look into that tomorrow.
I'll post what I find.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

I was doing a little more poking around today and I have a few questions.

In picture 1 ....

Is this where I would check my fuel pressure ?
I don't have a gauge yet, but if I depressed the valve manually with a screw driver should gas come out ? I tried it and no gas came out, just very little air under very little pressure for about 1 second.

If the the fuel pump is not working (not priming when ignition is turned on) would there be any pressure ? I have already changed the fuel filter, which would of depressurized the system, right ?

Picture 1

In picture 2 ....

Is this where the fuel pump relay is ?

When the ignition is turned on I can hear a "click" noise... That's means my relay is still good, right ?

Picture 2

In picture 3 ....

As I understand it GM changed something with the wiring for the fuel pump somewhere down the line and that requires the use of a updated fuel pump wiring harness.

With the fuel pump shown in picture 3, would this require the new wiring harness ?
Or is this the old style ?

Picture 3

One more question....

What is the best way to siphon the gas out ?

Are there any screens or baffles that would cause problems ?

Or will a standard garden hose with some suction be sufficient ?

Answers to these questions and any helpful advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited by blazinjay83; 08-04-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1 - Yep that's it.
2 - Flip the cover over. There is a nifty little diagram that will detail the name of each item.
3 - If the connector changed, then the pump should come with a new connector.
4 - Remove the main fill tube and siphon it out from there.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Swartlkk, anyone else have any tips, tricks, or advise for me before I start this fuel pump project this weekend ?

I'll take pics of the project and post them when I'm done. Might help someone in the future.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I cannot stess this enough... DO NOT buy an el cheapo fuel pump.
Buy an AC DELCO or a DELPHI... you dont want to do this again in a year... lol

Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

#1 Don't swallow any gas if you are doing it manually. Tastes like crap and leaves your breath petroleum fresh for a long time. May also make you puke.

#2 Spray down the bolts holding the tanks straps with PB Blaster or Keroil as much as you can in the few days before you start your project.

#3 A 2 x 12 is your friend. When lowering the tank, if there is still fuel in it, center a long enough 2 x 12(or 10 or 8) on the the jack under the tank to lower it. It will help spread the weight more evenly so you don't dent or tilt the tank too much.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member

Advise taken.... thanks.