2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

which engine heater? Radiator or plug?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member
celchlepp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which engine heater? Radiator or plug?

Hi everybody. I really need help with figuring out just which engine heater I should get for my Fiancee's 2003 Chevy Blazer (4-door, v-6, S-10 type), 80+K miles. I have read a bunch about all kinds including the heated oil dipstick, the heat pad that attaches to the oil pan, the lower radiator hose heater, and the frost plug heater that are found doing many Google searches for “engine heater” and such. So far it seems the “lower radiator hose heater”(radiator) and “frost plug heater”(plug) seem to be the two that make the most sense. But I’ve also read that the plugs have an inherent risk of leaks, and the radiator ones are not quite as efficient as the plug heaters, each being around $25.00. But from all my research so far, the jury is still out.

Of course I’ll gladly trade efficiency for the risk of leaking the green juice.

Whichever one is elected to be the best via consensus here, how complicated is either one on this particular car for me to put on personally? I am not a mechanic, but am quite capable of doing most anything except internal engine work provided an “order of operations” is explained.

Please let me know if you need any other info at celchleppNOSPAM@yahoo.com.

Thank you enormously in advance!
Chuck

Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: which engine heater? Radiator or plug?

*bump* to push his question back to the top.

I do believe that the factory block heater is in a freeze plug, but this would be a pain to install. If done correctly, they are highly effective and shouldn't be any more leak prone than the regular freeze plugs.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I've installed lots of factory block heaters. There are instructions in the box ,IIRC, as to position of the heating element.
Remove the freeze plug, clean the hole with some fine sandpaper and apply a thin bead of pipe thread sealant on the "O" ring seal, install and tighten the screw.
Use a bucket to catch the coolant.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member
celchlepp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Swart and CL. much appreciated.

for my understanding, do you recommend against the radiator hose heater type?

If I absolutely need to go with the plug type, how do I identify exactly where they are and what I remove to do this?

Do I need to buy a service manual to find them? I looked at This engine pic but I am not familiar with where they are. please help.

And a very sincere thank you for all help on this. I need to get it done real soon as it is -6F here this week and to be getting a lot colder over the next few months.
Chuck

Old 10-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that is a newer 4.3L, but it still has the freeze plugs on the sides of the block. The freeze plug that the factory heater is installed in is the rear most one on the driver's side mainly because the starter is in the way on the passenger side.

Here's a pic:

The factory block heater actually is a very good design if you can keep corrosion from getting down into the freeze plug bore were it may cause a leak. The factory heater uses an expanding clamp from the inside of the block to pull a nice tight seal on the outside as you tighten down the center bolt.

If you can get to the freeze plug shown, I would go the freeze plug route because it puts the heat were it's needed. The radiator hose type really will not circulate into the engine very far and a lot is lost to the environment.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally like the type that goes into one of the heater hoses. Circulates coolant through the motor, AND the heater core. Instant heat, as soon as you get in. (although, with the block heater, it only takes a few seconds, and you get heat....) The main appeal in the heater hose type is, ease of installation, ease of maintenance, and if it leaks, just tighten a hose clamp, while standing comfortably beside your truck, instead of crawling around underneath, and trying the thread your tools between the engine, driveline, and other hard metal objects...... Granted, there is a fair amount of heat loss to the environment, not sure how much worse it would be than a block heater.

I used one of this style in my Mazda, when I lived in Marquette. Temps frequently got below -50F..... I never had a problem starting the car, it was warm as soon as I turned on the heater, but, when it was severely cold, the heater would be blowing cool air by the time I got to work..... I could have warm toes, or, I could see out the windshield, but, never both at the same time.... It was frigging COLD!