2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trans Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 AM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road
Default Trans Flush Question

Ok, I do know how to "wrench" a little on engines in my cars, but when it comes to transmissions, I am not so good.

Now my questions is;
Is it wise to let those oil change places change the filter and fluid on a trans? I have heard different things and reasons why.

No, because there are magnets that need to be put back in and they often don't do this causing the tranny to fail.

Also that the fluid usually never has to be changed.

And various others.

Now my personal experiences have been bad, I have had a Ford and a Chevy both in separate oil change places and many years apart and after the fluid and filter change, both transmissions went out and had to be rebuilt. Not Fun!

Just curious to see your opinions and advice.

Thanx,

Beef

Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You will get different opinions on trans flushes, but my take is that the type machine that uses the trans own pump to force the fluid probably won't hurt. I would not want to use the type that uses the flusher's pump due to higher pressures.
If a trans is given regular and routine 'pan drop' fluid changes, there is nothing that should damage the trans. The problem usually arises from letting a trans go way too long in its life before a fluid change is done and all the little pieces and bits of the clutch packs that were loose, but still working, are flushed out.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
You will get different opinions on trans flushes, but my take is that the type machine that uses the trans own pump to force the fluid probably won't hurt. I would not want to use the type that uses the flusher's pump due to higher pressures.
If a trans is given regular and routine 'pan drop' fluid changes, there is nothing that should damage the trans. The problem usually arises from letting a trans go way too long in its life before a fluid change is done and all the little pieces and bits of the clutch packs that were loose, but still working, are flushed out.
See, thats what I think too, of course they all try to talk you into itbut then you have to sign a waiver that says they are not responsible if it goes out. I really want to do it, just cannot afford a tranny if it goes out. Hmm catch 22.