2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
I couldn't see oil coming through the push rods Started the motor valves was moving .Till it bent the push rod and broke the rocker arm. pretty sure its a lifter problem. But not 100% sure. How do you post a video?
so it has broken / bent a pushrod / rocker? You never said that before. Need to figure out if the valve is stuck in the guide or if something prevented the valve from opening. For video, put on YouTube and link to it in your post

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-08-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Did the push rod get bent because the valve did not open, the rocker seized or because the lifter collapsed and the pushrod became loose?

George

Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member
tommyboy8072002 is on a distinguished road

Lesmyer When i first pulled the valve cover off everything looked to be okay. till i drove it for the 2 time and pulled the valve cover off again and that is when i noticed it. I am guessing after pulling the head that is why the push rod got bent. But it also could be from the collapsed lifter. But not sure. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I pulled the head off and found a bent Valve on the exhaust side of Cylinder #4 No piston damage. (well from what i can see) The head looks to be okay. I haven't pulled the piston out to look at the rings. Not sure if i'm going too. what are your thoughts on this. Just worried about not having compression. (should i pull the piston or do you think it will be okay.

Last edited by tommyboy8072002; 09-11-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tommyboy8072002
Lesmyer When i first pulled the valve cover off everything looked to be okay. till i drove it for the 2 time and pulled the valve cover off again and that is when i noticed it. I am guessing after pulling the head that is why the push rod got bent. But it also could be from the collapsed lifter. But not sure. Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I pulled the head off and found a bent Valve on the exhaust side of Cylinder #4 No piston damage. (well from what i can see) The head looks to be okay. I haven't pulled the piston out to look at the rings. Not sure if i'm going too. what are your thoughts on this. Just worried about not having compression. (should i pull the piston or do you think it will be okay.
well the bent valve explains the bent pushrod and broken rocker. Question is what bent the valve. I wouldn't pull any piston until this is figured out and if any contact was made with the piston

Old 09-11-2018, 10:56 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

A valve getting bent by hitting a piston could have tweaked the connecting rod, also it may have cracked piston at the wrist pin. Even with no visible damage to the piston. Been there seen this.
Also IMO you have something else going on as I can't see how a collapsed lifted will hold a valve open to get bent - should be opposite not opening all the way.
What RPMS were you running when you was running down the road, High RPMS and floating the valves will let valves slam into a piston and very well deflate lifters at the same time.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member

my Rpm was at 2000 at 30 mph when it made a funny noise.(Like a card in a bicycle spoke.) That is when i Immediately took my foot off the gas Pedal and pulled over to the side of the road. Looks like there is no damage done to the piston. But like you said it could be internal. I am going to take the head down to a machine shop. and see if they can find anything

Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM
jnybob11 is on a distinguished road

sounds to me like you may have a broken valve, piston or rod. Also a crack in the cylinder wall will cause a bad smell if coolant is leaking into the compression chamber. Is the compression problem only in #4? Also check timing.

Last edited by jnybob11; 09-12-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Oil gally too #4 lifters may have plugged off deflating the lifters hence the card in spokes sound { rocker rattle }
With no oil flow thu the lifters too oil the rocker and valve guides the rocker may have dried out and seized or the valve guide with no oil to lubricate it may have over heated and caused the valve too drag holding it open and let the piston hit it bending the valve stem.
Valve bending may be the collateral damage in the end of events

Last edited by odat; 09-12-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member

I have good Compression in all the other cylinders. I think the best way is to rebuild the motor. by replacing everything but the heads and the block. My question do i have to remove the front axle to get to the oil pan off. Or can i just lift up the motor to get the pan off.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Did you hear any knock when this happened or lose oil pressure?

George

Quick Reply: Engine problem