Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Engine shut off on the highway! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/engine-shut-off-highway-98863/)

strykerld 02-14-2019 01:24 PM

Engine shut off on the highway!

This past Saturday I did all the normal pre trip checks before I went on my trip. Only about 150 miles round trip. All fluid levels were fine. Today on a short trip the Blazer just turned off like I had hit the key. NO warnings or check engine lights!! It would not restart but cranked fine but acted like no fuel or fire. While I was waiting for a tow I noticed a puff of smoke come from the dip stick tub. I checked the oil just to see and sure enough NO OIL. But the car NEVER smoked, it is dry underneath and no oil in the exhaust. Tow driver said computer just shut off the motor to save it from low oil! Is this possible? It is at the shop and they looked at me like I was crazy when i repeated what the driver said. I told them to look it over add oil and see if it will start. If it starts I said leave it alone and I will take it home and get rid of it. What do YOU GUYS think is up?

odat 02-14-2019 01:34 PM

No oil hmmm interesting.
But ya it could have a oil pressure sending unit that shuts down the fuel pump when no pressure is read at the unit

strykerld 02-14-2019 03:18 PM

Auto shop said no issue with the oil. They cleared all codes and when they tried to start it it threw a anti theft code!!!!!!!!!

go chevy 02-15-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by strykerld (Post 703100)
Auto shop said no issue with the oil. They cleared all codes and when they tried to start it it threw a anti theft code!!!!!!!!!

That is just plain weird!!! Where in the world did the oil go??? No leaks, nothing..... Do you by chance remember what your oil pressure gauge was showing?

GeorgeLG 02-16-2019 09:00 AM

So the truck had a total oil loss or the shop is saying that the oil level is correct and that they did not put any oil in the vehicle?

George

strykerld 02-16-2019 02:07 PM

They said oil was fine. Charged me for 3 hours of diagnostic time at $99.50 a hour! Said they would forgive that fee if I allowed them to fix the car. They said it was a faulty factory anti theft by-pass module in the column that would take 5 hours to fix and the total with parts would be $941!!! I went to the local Chevy dealer and they have NEVER heard of THAT part and a column for my car could be TOTALLY rebuilt in LESS than 5 hours!! I'm stuck now because my car is APART and they will not reassemble it unless I agree to let them fix it!!!! After more research I think they are talking about the passlock module or passlock sensor!! Some have called it a bypass sensor or module!!

strykerld 02-17-2019 10:06 AM

bypass module!!

What should the cost be to replace a VATS bypass module on a 2003 Blazer?

Mike.308 02-18-2019 02:06 AM

Did they tell You in advance, they charge $100 for a working hour? IDK what are the prices there, but I smell a scam. I'd rather arrange the tow to another shop.

I had a dying engine with LOP syndrome and the only thing it triggered was "CHECK GAGES" control. It didn't shut. The engine without oil would be loud enough to recognize there's something going on. In my opinion it's a lie and the problem lies elsewhere.

strykerld 02-18-2019 07:53 AM

A local Chevy dealer said it sounded correct to them but the cost is the fact that you no longer can get the passlock sensor by it's self. It comes complete with the ignition housing and some other things. I should have taken it to them because they quoted $700!!

Mike.308 02-18-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by strykerld (Post 703285)
A local Chevy dealer said it sounded correct to them but the cost is the fact that you no longer can get the passlock sensor by it's self. It comes complete with the ignition housing and some other things. I should have taken it to them because they quoted $700!!

They were all probably referring to getting a new spare. Salvage yards might be a good option here.

Btw. quotation doesn't make the deal, unless it has Your acceptance.