2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine Swap - Fuel Injection Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member
lroman3 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Swap - Fuel Injection Compatibility

Hello everyone,

This site has a wealth of knowledge that has been incredibly helpful to me in the past. I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to by searching the forum so, I am posting my first time. Hopefully I get it right.

I have a '96 blazer 2wd vin "W". The engine has spun a bearing so I am in the process of installing another engine. The new engine I have is out of a '03 Van vin "X".

I am in the process of swapping manifolds, engine mounting brackets and miscellaneous sensors. Now that I have the intake off and can see the fuel injection the '03 system looks much better compared to the '98.

My question is whether the fuel injection system from the '03 is compatible in with the '98 ECM. The plugs appear identical. I would like to swap it out if possible as the '03 has far less miles on it and it looks to be a better system.

The '98 has black tubes going to each intake runner and likes like the picture below.

The '03 has wires and tubibing running to each intake runner and looks like the picture below.

I did search the forum before posting but, I didn't find anything conclusive as to whether the two are interchangeable. Anyone know for sure if they are interchangeable or not?

Last edited by lroman3; 04-15-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: correcting typo
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lroman3

I have a '96 blazer 2wd vin "W". The engine has spun a bearing so I am in the process of installing another engine. The new engine I have is out of a '03 Van vin "X".

I am in the process of swapping manifolds, engine mounting brackets and miscellaneous sensors. Now that I have the intake off and can see the fuel injection the '03 system looks much better compared to the '98.

My question is whether the fuel injection system from the '03 is compatible in with the '98 ECM. The plugs appear identical. I would like to swap it out if possible as the '03 has far less miles on it and it looks to be a better system.

The '98 has black tubes going to each intake runner and likes like the picture below.

I did search the forum before posting but, I didn't find anything conclusive as to whether the two are interchangeable. Anyone know for sure if they are interchangeable or not?
I assume you do mean 98
Short answer: yes. GULP.. Err.. I mean NO!
You're going to have some other issues.. EGR and Knock sensor. But here's the thing:
- The MPFI is a replacement option in the 2nd gen.. there are many threads referring to that. However a different part is called for in 2002 {transition year} up.
- SEE! I aint always right. I'm still learning.

Look at Rockauto as if you needed a new spider for your 98. Then check the coverage for that part by clicking on part#. If in doubt look up the part for the 2003. That's how you know.

Anyone who's done engine replacement, btw swaps the long block.. using the factory stock intake and sensor systems.. in your case keep the EGR, and drill tap the new engine for old knock sensor. Wanna use the newer sensors, dist etc? Crosscheck the part #'s

OR you could go through the hassle of upgrading to a 2003 VCM. More trouble than it's worth and adds significant bucks for little return.

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I assume you do mean 98
Short answer: yes. GULP.. Err.. I mean NO!
You're going to have some other issues.. EGR and Knock sensor. But here's the thing:
- The MPFI is a replacement option in the 2nd gen.. there are many threads referring to that. However a different part is called for in 2002 {transition year} up.
- SEE! I aint always right. I'm still learning.

Look at Rockauto as if you needed a new spider for your 98. Then check the coverage for that part by clicking on part#. If in doubt look up the part for the 2003. That's how you know.

Anyone who's done engine replacement, btw swaps the long block.. using the factory stock intake and sensor systems.. in your case keep the EGR, and drill tap the new engine for old knock sensor. Wanna use the newer sensors, dist etc? Crosscheck the part #'s

OR you could go through the hassle of upgrading to a 2003 VCM. More trouble than it's worth and adds significant bucks for little return.

It's a 1996 Blazer for sure. If I am reading correctly the fuel injection is not interchangeable. I am changing the lower intake for sure. Just wasn't sure I could swap the '03 fuel injection system.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Beginning Member

As Pettyfog requested, I did look on Rockauto. This has created further confusion for me as to whether the two systems are interchangeable.

Listed under the '96 vehicle there is a conversion offered. Actually, there are 2 conversion kits offered, not sure the difference, that look like what I have from the '03 motor. Certianly uderstand there may differences in the signalling from the ECM but, visually they look the same to me.

However, I did not see this same part listed under the '03. Which may be the case as this is a conversion kit so it may not show up under another year/model.

Not trying to force an oval peg in a round hole. It's just that while I am here I would like to update as much as possible from the newer engine. Any further guidance or confirmation of incompatibility would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:38 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Oh, hell.. just do it.
Pending Kyle or Cap'n Hook weighing in...

Remember you MAY need a bracket like the Delphi info said
Here's a guy who did same..'X' to 'W' but ended up being the '1-way' kind that frustrates everyone. Didnt post the outcome.
04 "x" vin swap into 99 "w" vin - S-10 Forum

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Oh, hell.. just do it.
Pending Kyle or Cap'n Hook weighing in...

Remember you MAY need a bracket like the Delphi info said
Here's a guy who did same..'X' to 'W' but ended up being the '1-way' kind that frustrates everyone. Didnt post the outcome.
04 "x" vin swap into 99 "w" vin - S-10 Forum
Pettyfog - not trying to be difficult. Just wanting to verify options in an attempt to save myself rework.

In the meantime I will work on drilling and tapping the knock sensor. During that process hopefully Kyle or Cap'n Hook will weigh in.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The fuel injection system on the 03 "X" engine (MPFI) will work on the 96 "W" computer control system, (CSFI) with no problems, no PCM reprogramming is necessary. The fuel metering block bracket is different between the two systems, don't mix them up. The "X" engine might not have an EGR valve, your 96 system does, so you might need to use the lower intake manifold from the 96 "W" engine. All of the other sensors should be the same if I remember correctly.

EDIT: If you end up changing the lower intake, do yourself a HUGE favor and use a Felpro lower intake gasket set MS98002T.... you'll thank me later

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-15-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The fuel injection system on the 03 "X" engine (MPFI) will work on the 96 "W" computer control system, (CSFI) with no problems, no PCM reprogramming is necessary. The fuel metering block bracket is different between the two systems, don't mix them up. The "X" engine might not have an EGR valve, your 96 system does, so you might need to use the lower intake manifold from the 96 "W" engine. All of the other sensors should be the same if I remember correctly.

EDIT: If you end up changing the lower intake, do yourself a HUGE favor and use a Felpro lower intake gasket set MS98002T.... you'll thank me later
Great news! Thanks for the confirmation. I will confirm which gasket set I have and exchange it if necessary.

I will post the final results once I get the engine installed. Probably will take a couple weeks. I need to drill and tap the knock sensor, waiting on new torque converter, etc.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you spend plenty of time cleaning the surfaces of the intake and the heads, the cleaner the better Small corrosion pits around the coolant passages can be filled & leveled with silicone, but if the pitting is excessive, the intake will need replacement.

Chase the threads on the intake bolts and in the heads, then apply thread sealer to the bolts and follow the tightening sequence and torque specs. The final torque is 11 foot pounds, gradually arrived at in 3 steps. Some of the holes in the heads are not blind, which can cause oil to leak if the threads are not sealed. Due to the low torque, the sealer also helps combat the bolts from walking out when subjected to normal engine vibration.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Make sure you spend plenty of time cleaning the surfaces of the intake and the heads, the cleaner the better Small corrosion pits around the coolant passages can be filled & leveled with silicone, but if the pitting is excessive, the intake will need replacement.

Chase the threads on the intake bolts and in the heads, then apply thread sealer to the bolts and follow the tightening sequence and torque specs. The final torque is 11 foot pounds, gradually arrived at in 3 steps. Some of the holes in the heads are not blind, which can cause oil to leak if the threads are not sealed. Due to the low torque, the sealer also helps combat the bolts from walking out when subjected to normal engine vibration.
Thanks for the advice on the thread sealer. The engine and head surfaces look brand new. My lower intake surface looks good as well. Currently, it is soaking in degreaser. It has a gummy greasy film all over the inside. Tough stuff to remove.

If you end up changing the lower intake, do yourself a HUGE favor and use a Felpro lower intake gasket set MS98002T.... you'll thank me later
I double checked the gasket set I have which is MS95817. Visually, based on the picture offered by autozone is the MS98002T has the valve cover gaskets which I don't need as I replaced those less than 1,000 miles ago. Do you know if there is any significant difference in the intake gaskets themselves? Certianly don't wnat to have to change the intake gasket once I get it all back together due to an inferior gasket.

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-17-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post and use the multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap - Fuel Injection Compatibility