2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine Swap - Fuel Injection Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The MS98002T LIM gasket has a metal carrier vs. the plastic carrier on the MS95817. That is the very reason why we recommend the more expensive MS98002T gasket set. The plastic carrier WILL fail again down the road. Do yourself a favor and return the MS95817 and get the MS98002T.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Beginning Member
lroman3 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The MS98002T LIM gasket has a metal carrier vs. the plastic carrier on the MS95817. That is the very reason why we recommend the more expensive MS98002T gasket set. The plastic carrier WILL fail again down the road. Do yourself a favor and return the MS95817 and get the MS98002T.
Thanks! Will be exchanging the gaskets today!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, what kyle said As long as you have the engine out, and half apart, this is an ideal time to replace the rocker arm cover gaskets too.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by lroman3
Thanks! Will be exchanging the gaskets today!
Exchanged the gaskets and drilled/tapped the knock sensor today. Just waiting on the new torque converter to show up and I can move on with re-installing the engine.

Drilling and tapping the knock sensor was easier than expected. Only took about 15 minutes once I started. The hard part was finding a 1/4 NPT tap.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Beginning Member

Hey everyone. Just thought I would close out the post by stating I have the engine back in and everything is working just great. Should be good for another 100k.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
BigT270 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The fuel injection system on the 03 "X" engine (MPFI) will work on the 96 "W" computer control system, (CSFI) with no problems, no PCM reprogramming is necessary. The fuel metering block bracket is different between the two systems, don't mix them up. The "X" engine might not have an EGR valve, your 96 system does, so you might need to use the lower intake manifold from the 96 "W" engine. All of the other sensors should be the same if I remember correctly.

EDIT: If you end up changing the lower intake, do yourself a HUGE favor and use a Felpro lower intake gasket set MS98002T.... you'll thank me later
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I've been searching on intake swaps for a while before I found this site. I have a 95 Jimmy with the ever so wonderful CPI engine, and I'm tired of throwing money at it replacing all the fuel components. Everything I've been reading as far as any intake or injection swaps point to 96 or later engines. Do you know of any options like this for the 95 CPI engine? I can't really seem to find anything. I've been trying to find specifics on later model engine or intake swaps; mostly pertaining to whether or not the electronics will work together. I used to have an 04 Blazer with the "X" 4.3 in it, and loved it. I'd love to be able to swap in a later model "X" engine, but I doubt the computer and wiring would let me do that without some serious re-wiring, if it was possible at all. I've been going as far as considering a V-8 swap, but a 4.3 that just "works" would make me very happy. Thanks for anything you could throw my way. I've been searching for quite some time, but can't ever seem to find anything really concrete.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

BigT270,

The late production 1995 CMFI "W" VIN engines are as "refined" as that system gets. The 2 systems are easily identified: Early production uses HEI ignition and the plug wires attach vertical on the distibutor cap. Late production uses EDI ignition and the plug wires attach horizontal.

Upgrading your 1995 to a 1996 or newer CSFI "W" or "X" VIN would be a nightmare and a half, but it can be done. There are both physical and electronic differences that would need to be dealt with. If you have the late production 1995, (EDI ignition) the basic short block could be used. Anything that bolts to the block would need 1996 or newer components. This would include the heads, intake, PCM, sensors, wiring harnesses, accessory brackets, AC compressor, throttle body, air intake, and don't forget the exhaust system, (96 & 97 have 4 oxygen sensors). Might be easier and cheaper to jack up the radiator cap, (if it's good) and install a new vehicle under it Your CMFI system is actually a pretty decent set up, and if it's repaired using quality parts, it performs quite well.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 AM
BigT270 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
BigT270,

The late production 1995 CMFI "W" VIN engines are as "refined" as that system gets. The 2 systems are easily identified: Early production uses HEI ignition and the plug wires attach vertical on the distibutor cap. Late production uses EDI ignition and the plug wires attach horizontal.

Upgrading your 1995 to a 1996 or newer CSFI "W" or "X" VIN would be a nightmare and a half, but it can be done. There are both physical and electronic differences that would need to be dealt with. If you have the late production 1995, (EDI ignition) the basic short block could be used. Anything that bolts to the block would need 1996 or newer components. This would include the heads, intake, PCM, sensors, wiring harnesses, accessory brackets, AC compressor, throttle body, air intake, and don't forget the exhaust system, (96 & 97 have 4 oxygen sensors). Might be easier and cheaper to jack up the radiator cap, (if it's good) and install a new vehicle under it Your CMFI system is actually a pretty decent set up, and if it's repaired using quality parts, it performs quite well.
I have the the later EDI ignition. So a 96+ engine can be installed, as long as I have the complete harness and PCM to match? I know the AC compressors are on the driver's side on the later models, as well as other accessories being in different spots, and that's just a routing issue. I can fab up a new exhaust system with little difficulty. Wouldn't be the first, so that's no issue for me.

Most of my experience stems from earlier Chevy and late model imports. So this is the first time I've really wanted to dive in deep to a GM with all the OBD electronics. My concerns were if there were any differences in the blocks (which I'm pretty sure there isn't) themselves, and if the PCM was replaced along with a newer engine, that I wouldn't run into further conflicts with the remaining electronics in the vehicle.

I know this is the second spider assembly I've had to replace in the 1 year I've owned the Jimmy, as well as the FPR. The later model "X" engine in the Blazer I had before never had issues like this one does. I really do appreciate your help. Thank you.