2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine/Transmission Whine..Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
Billyclubz is on a distinguished road
Default Engine/Transmission Whine..Pls Help

Hi All, Own a 1999 Blazer.......had the tranny rebuilt about a year ago. I am beginning to notice a high pitch "whine" noise when I put the Blazer in gear (reverse or forward). The noise changes tone with application of the accelerator.

Engine oil level ok, transmission fluid level is high (the transmission folks overfilled it but I have no drain plug in the pan to drain it easily).

In between the oil pan/drain plug and the transmission pan, there is a 2-3" cutout in the transfer case (I dont know my parts) where I can see a gear of some sort. Should there be a plug here (see pic).....causing my issue? There seemed to be a litte wet spot under the center of my car that was "oily" since it didnt dry up. Engine oil and tran oil are not low, however and I cant tell where it came from. I know my waterpump leaks just a little, but would that leave an oily spot?

I am not sure how to diagnose the whine. ....it goes away when in nuetral or park.

Also (different issue), I hear a rattle in the underbody which is very loud in my work parking garage. It is intermittent, but today I was under the vehicle while it was running and the rattle came back. I thought at first it was a loose heat shield rivet, but found out it was the exhaust catalytic converter. Is this easily replaced?

Attached Thumbnails Engine/Transmission Whine..Pls Help-dscn1901.jpg   Engine/Transmission Whine..Pls Help-dscn1902.jpg   Engine/Transmission Whine..Pls Help-dscn1903.jpg  

Last edited by Billyclubz; 10-17-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
gary h. is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have an answer to the above question?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
spittybays

Will look at mine in the morning but that aint right, been under enough to know that hole should have something over it. Encoder motor missing maybe. Will look for you for sure. Wow!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

That hole is just a acess so you can get to the flywheel to do a couple of things
To hold the engine still or spin it so you can lossen up the tork converter or so you can just check the fly wheel
there should be eather a rubber plug ot a metal sheald over it so no dirt or junk gets in there

The fastest way to get some fluid out of your trans is to break a line lose and let it drip out
(make sure your checking the trans fluid wile the car is running and hot like after a drive to or from work not wile the car is off)

as far as the wine it could be alot of diffrent things if its in the trans

Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 AM
Beginning Member
vic98blazer is on a distinguished road

my 2004 gmc sierra 2500 hd make this noise only in a drive gear and changes with the engine, i had a trans guy look at it quick and was told it was the torque converter. he told me 700 to replace but im not one to bring my vechicle to a shop to be fixed so im waiting on goo weather to tackle it, im sure it will be a pita due to the size and weight of my trans and transfer case but the blazer should be a little easier, hope this helps