2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE DASH BUT THE drive light indicator...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
cougar1997xr7 is on a distinguished road
Default EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE DASH BUT THE drive light indicator...HELP

i have a 1998 blazer, its the 4x4 4door and has no power anything. all my guages work and light up but it doesnt light up in that box to say in im in park,drive or nuetral..i checked all the fuses and they were ok.. and ideas? is there a seperate bulb for that on the cluster? this is my 2nd blazer and i got it for the wife and on the way home those lights stopped working,broke a swaybar endlink,and i got home and broke the hood latch cable..lol..the only one that puzzles me is this light issue..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is most likely an instrument cluster problem. The easiest way to tell is to get a scan tool on it that can view what gear the PCM thinks the transmission is set to.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member

i can tell what gear its in by fishing from park, left to right is park reverse nuetral overdirve(i think) drive then maby drive 1 or 2, im kinda unfamiliar with them..i would just rather have it lit than not, considering it will mostly be driven by my wife(poor blazer)..is this a common issue with these dash's..?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
live2wire is on a distinguished road
Default 99 Chev Blazer 2nd gen 4X4

I have a cluster problem that doesn't show the gear location and also the Back-up lights are not working when I got the vehicle so not sure where the problem lies. checked the fuses all are good while there noticed the hood light wasn't working and found it had been termed and wondering what I will find next besides the rear window wiper seized up...scared to try the 4 wheel drive .
I am new to the forum so If I posted in the wrong spot please forgive me and tell me gently as I really don't generally post in forums.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member

with my dash light it came back on the other day for a few hours then went out again..so im thinking a loose wire..these stupid blazer are problem prone, i also replaced a swarbar bushing and 2 weeks later the new bushing is snapped like the old one..ugh..

Old 10-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Hey, Sorry I know this is an old thread but the one I wanted to post to was already locked...'course I don't want to hijack someone elses thread but just wanted to keep it simple for others with similar problems.
I have checked the fuse on my '99 blazer for the B/U lmps and I am not getting power to the fuse if I pull the fuse ( and checked it it was good) and injected power to the firewall side of it the reverse lamps glow like christmas trees so that elimanates bulb failure and bad wires leading from the fuse box..
My question is this how does the power come from (the ? ignition) to the fusebox or does it go from the (-----) to the Park/Neutral switch and back to the fuse and could the fact I don't have a dash indicator factor into that. any help would be appreciated and a thank you in advance.
P.S. I have one of those ScanGuage II but it doesn't read the transmission codes unless it is with a code like one that is slipping but I don't think it has that capability. and can't afford one of the other's.
Mark

Last edited by live2wire; 10-10-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: more information
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
dropwiser is on a distinguished road
Default me too

I just got a blazer and I have been having so many problems with it, most are fixed now One weird thing was the drive light indicator. I thought this was weird it shows a box for P, R, N, but nothing as you click through D,3,2,1. I hadn't cared. Seemed the least of my problems. just now my wife called me and told me it randomly came on for a drive, and then it started blinking in what she described as morass code.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have some cold solders on the LCD screen in the cluster. This is a somewhat common occurrence. You'll have to remove the cluster & disassemble it to a certain extent to get to where the LCD screen is soldered to the circuit board. Then you'll need soldering iron & some silver solder to remelt & resolder the joints. Do any of the joints that look dull or have visible cracking.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Read this:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...fixed**-16911/

And if you're unsure about soldering, dig out some old junk electronics out of the closet and practice on its circuit board

Last edited by pettyfog; 04-05-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.. you state to use silver soldier..is there a reason other than maybe durability to use it rather than using rosin core which is normally used for electronics, silver takes way more heat.
thanks for the heads up on the poor joints I will have to have a look see asap been very busy lately.
Mark

Quick Reply: EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE DASH BUT THE drive light indicator...HELP