2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Express oil change

Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
maki3242@gmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express oil change

I just took my blazer to an express oil change to trouble shoot a fuel pressure issue and they caught it on fire and burned up the spider and distributer. They poured water on my engine to put out the fire for some reason which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard considering a shop should have an fire extinguisher! They said they would pay for the parts destroyed but it still all seems shady. Any suggestions on what action I should take would be appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Express oil change

They should definetly pay for the parts I would make them pay forthe labor to have a real mechanic do the work though, not a guy that changes oil filters.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM

The only reason I let him have a crack at it was because he said he was an ex gm mechanic. I was only going for a diagnosis of a fule pressure issues because he had the proper tools.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Shoulda just bought a fuel pressure gauge from Napa..The guy probably have fuel on his hands from testing the pressure, then went to test spark..haha...

And youd be even more up a creek if they used a fire extinguisher. Unless theyre rocking a Halon system, youd have corroded metal all in your engine bay.

Youll probably have to just pay for the work, then their customer service line will send you a check. That's how Jiffy Lube works anyway... Sucks...Just get it out of there and do you own repair

Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM

We did a pressure test after changing the pump, regulator, and filter. So when all else failed we took it to a shop big guy. The fact that the guy was a complete idiot is not something I cant be acountable for bro.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Fair enough

Any word yet on what exactly was damaged with the flare up?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member
ZR2nut is an unknown quantity at this point

Get it in writing that they will fix the damages.They will probably have it looked at by their own 3rd party garage/mechanic.If you feel that this result is not adequate then get an attorney and show him/her that they stated they would pay for the damages.What concerns me here is that there may have been some wiring burned up or damaged so don't sign anything until the vehicle is in the same condition as it was when you first drove in.I managed one of these express oil change joints and there are some real einsteins working in the garage.They will hire just about anyone with little or no mechanical ability.Don't let them tell you what to do here.You have them over a barrel here so don't let up till you are completely satisfied.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:04 AM

I talked to the main manager and he said that the reason the fire occurred was because the fuel pressure regulator I installed was not put in all the way and was leaking fuel. But I know I triple checked that the regulator/O ring was sealed in there and even put new gaskets on the plenum, hell it took me 4 hours to do the work. Aside from anything what holds the regulator in was plastic and those clips were burnt up so I'm not buying that, I did a pressure test before bringing it there and it read at 55 psi, the problem was the pressure wasnt holding. He is basically tryin to get some of the blame on me so I will pay for part of the spider. He is also saying the spider was the original problem so thats another reason i should help pay. So I figure I will pay what they pay for the spider if they get my truck running properly. They are definetly eating the cost of the new wires, plugs, distributer, and they assure me they are checking all the wiring. My question is if they get it running what kind of labor do I pay? If they dont get it running then they eat all the cost of everything damaged right?
P.S An employee said that there fire extinguishers had not been serviced in a long time so thats why they didnt work and they had to dump a mop bucket of water on my open engine.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran

Yikes...what a mess..

Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

Just yoke the manager up and monkey-stomp his face.....after he realizes he has just been whooped, he will be more than happy to accomodate your requests

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Express oil change