2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Faulty Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:47 PM
BlazeOn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faulty Rear Hatch

I have a 2001 Blazer. The rear hatch is an electronic button that pops the glass and has no manual handle as a back up. The electronic switch is broken, I can hear the motor whining inside but it wont disengage the glass. The owners manual said there was an emergancy access hole under the carpet inside the car to override the elctronic switch. I puuled the carpet up and found no such access hole, plus I cant seem to pull the trim off. Anyone no how to over ride the electronics so I can open the rear hatch??

Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Faulty Rear Hatch

You can open the liftgate, but cannot get the glass to open?

If this is the case, check out my post on how to adjust the rear glass:
https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=22269

In your case, you may be able to drill a hole in the inner trim panel in order to trigger the latch striker, but I'd really have to look at things again to tell you where to drill... The last two pictures in that post show the window latch and the electronic release mechanism.

Let me know if you need more info.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 PM
aharris680 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem in a 2002. I can't figure out how to get the rear glass to open and can hear the actuator when I press the button. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Alan

Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read my post above?

Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
BlazeOn is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I cant open my tailgate until I open my rear window. The window opens up, and the tailgate comes down, its not a one piece tailgate. Didnt know if there was a way to pull the trim off with the window closed or anything other than drilling a hole in the trim.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
aharris680 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at your post, but my problem is I cannot even open the glass to remove the interior panel.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

just a suggestion...my friends trunk on his car used to not open unless someone was slightly pulling on it while he tried to pop it...so my suggestion is to push the button while pulling up... you shouldnt have to pull hard

Old 05-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Ah gotcha. 2dr rear liftgate. Well that changes things... Interesting. Wish I knew someone with this setup so I could pull it apart and get some pictures for you, but I do not.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have one...i would go look but i dont have it here @ school...im goin home tomorrow @ 9...if its not resolved by then ill take a look
good luck

Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: aharris680

I looked at your post, but my problem is I cannot even open the glass to remove the interior panel.
On the 4dr rear liftgates, you should still be able to pry the trim panel out enough to reach up in there and pop the glass by hand. I can get about a 6" gap on mine.

ORIGINAL: MCas86

i have one...i would go look but i dont have it here @ school...im goin home tomorrow @ 9...if its not resolved by then ill take a look
good luck
If you could do that, I'll add them to my other post and try to make an all inclusive HOWTO for both the 2dr and 4dr. Never really messed around with a 2dr so I didn't know that they were that much different.

Quick Reply: Faulty Rear Hatch