2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Finally solved major issue-- maybe this can help you

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:50 PM
jadewolf32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally solved major issue-- maybe this can help you

OK I just bought a 1998 Chevy Blazer ZR2 in Sept, had 66,000 miles, well turns out I had a TON of issues, started with the SES light. ( Service Engine Soon) it would come on my blazer would run like crap, mostly when I would drive in the mountains, or when I would put any type of pull on it..... So took it in to get the codes, and it was saying all the O2 sensors and the EGR valve. Well I would also hear my fuel pump whining. It would run like crap, then run great, I was getting REALLY pist off, everybody would tell me it is this or that and of course as most of you know nothing cost under $80.00 to fix these beasts... So I started doing research, and I found out that the 98's have a different EGR valve, it's a linear, and they have been a hush hush recall issue for GM, what is happening is the computer tells the valve to open so it can blow out the carbon to keep it from building up------ well it doesn't close, so it stays stuck open which in turn makes the engine run like crap and causes the O2 sensors to try and compensate so in turn makes the o2 sensors throw the codes that they are bad. I had my EGR cleaned and then it was running AWSOME, I was happy, then BAM here comes the SES light and the no power, crappy gas mileage, codes..bla bla bla, so again I took it back and I had to get the EGR replaced, and she is great, have not had any issues and my o2 sensors have not needed to be replaced.... I also ran a can of sea foam and replaced the fuel pump. All is well~~~~~~~ UNTILL today, new issue different post....[>:] But wanted to share this information because I have read so many posts about running crappy SES light on and off and so on...

BARBARA ZR2 BLUES

1998 money pit blazer[X(]

Old 02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Finally solved major issue-- maybe this can help you

Pull the codes again...maybe it is something else?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If I read this right, replacing the EGR fixed the problem for her. That means that she was just sharing this information for the benefit of others. And yes, a faulty or leaking EGR valve can cause problems down the line with the O2 sensors.

Thanks for posting up this information! I have never seen TSBs on a 'silent' recall on the EGR valves, but glad you got your blazer fixed!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:19 AM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]ORIGINAL: jadewolf32
So I started doing research, and I found out that the 98's have a different EGR valve, it's a linear, and they have been a hush hush recall issue for GM, what is happening is the computer tells the valve to open so it can blow out the carbon to keep it from building up------

So whats the difference with the 98 4.3L ? Is the cleaning process of this valve different? I have been reading post about Sea Foam and want to try working on the truck this weekend.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
jadewolf32 is an unknown quantity at this point

So whats the difference with the 98 4.3L ? Is the cleaning process of this valve different? I have been reading post about Sea Foam and want to try working on the truck this weekend.

The 98 4.3L is all the same the ONLY differance is the EGR valve, you can still "clean" it the same way, it's just the issue with this valve is after the computer tells it to open, they stay that way. The first go around I cleaned the valve and it was running awsome but then it started to act up again and it wasn't caused by carbon build up, it's a defect within the valve itself and you cann't replace it with the ( as I would call it ) a "normal" EGR valve.... GM has a recall on these valves 7 years or 70,000 miles BUT you only get ONE and the same issue will repeat itself in time.... And now if you think about it it is 2006----- and it is JUST the 1998's so you can no longer even get a replacement free of charge..... so figure on spending around 150-180 because it is a dealer item only....

If I would have been smart I should have researched the 98's because this year seems to have A LOT of issues, guess they didnt get all the bugs worked out, I am now dealing with a new issue myself, heater core went out yesterday, so I dissconnected it because I cann't afford to come up with 600 to replace it and I cann't do this job myself because the ONLY way to get to the dam thing is taking apart the whole dash board. That was bright on GM's part. So let's hope that Colorado doesn't get much more cold weather or I'm screwed! [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Barbara.
Glad you got it figured out.
Nothing more frustrating then engine problems.