2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

First Time Swapping Sparkplugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cinnamon
I hope I don't have to replace the catalytic converter. Is it a hard job? The part doesn't seem super expensive... I took a peek at the sensor and it doesn't seem to be fouled either. I haven't used my circuit tester on it though so we'll see what happens when I try that. I dunno how long it's been running with the misfire so hopefully I'm in the clear.

EDIT: Thank you so much to everyone!!!! I managed to get the sparkplugs out with the swivel on the socket + 20in extension + breaker bar!!! (drinks to those who suggested that)
I also tested out the O2 Sensor with my circuit tester... The receptacle wires lit it up but the O2 Sensor end itself did not light up even though it was plugged into the receptacle...
Am I doing this right? Is the O2 Sensor borked?
Tomorrow I'm going to install the new Spark Plug Wires, the packaging says they come pre-greased so that's good. Then I'll install the new sparkplugs and we should be golden!
Are there any tips for the installation of the sparkplugs? I know that you cannot cross-thread as it will screw everything up. I heard there was a trick with a piece of 1/4 Gas Tubing. I think I have some laying around I could use...

Again, many thanks to everyone helping this newbie out!!!
If your O2 sensor is electrically screwed up, the PCM will recognize it and set a specific code. Circuit tester is not the way to test. There are factory diagnostic charts that cover diagnosis of the OBD2 codes. You can find many of them here https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-26408/

But first get the new spark plugs and wires in before worrying about any codes and retest. The problem may no longer be there.

I have found that a 4" piece of 3/32 I.D. or so vacuum hose shoved over the spark plug terminal tip (boot end of the spark plug) allows for easy guiding/starting spark plugs into their threads. Just hold onto and turn the vacuum hose. Once started in the threads a turn or so, just pull and the hose comes off. 1/4" tubing may be a bit large unless it will fit over the porcelain part of the plug (it may very well fit there - just something I am not used to doing).

If you end up needing a converter, better to let a muffler shop do that or you will likely end up with broken-off bolts, bloody knuckles, and a more expensive repair job. If you decide to do it yourself, soak down the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe nuts/studs with penetrating oil multiple times on multiple days before cranking on them. Exhaust shops know how to heat them with a torch and use an impact wrench (cautiously) to get them out pretty easily. No substitute for experience there.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
Cinnamon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
If your O2 sensor is electrically screwed up, the PCM will recognize it and set a specific code. Circuit tester is not the way to test. There are factory diagnostic charts that cover diagnosis of the OBD2 codes. You can find many of them here https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-26408/

But first get the new spark plugs and wires in before worrying about any codes and retest. The problem may no longer be there.

I have found that a 4" piece of 3/32 I.D. or so vacuum hose shoved over the spark plug terminal tip (boot end of the spark plug) allows for easy guiding/starting spark plugs into their threads. Just hold onto and turn the vacuum hose. Once started in the threads a turn or so, just pull and the hose comes off. 1/4" tubing may be a bit large unless it will fit over the porcelain part of the plug (it may very well fit there - just something I am not used to doing).

If you end up needing a converter, better to let a muffler shop do that or you will likely end up with broken-off bolts, bloody knuckles, and a more expensive repair job. If you decide to do it yourself, soak down the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe nuts/studs with penetrating oil multiple times on multiple days before cranking on them. Exhaust shops know how to heat them with a torch and use an impact wrench (cautiously) to get them out pretty easily. No substitute for experience there.
Hopefully you're right about the code not being anything cause I definitely don't want to have to take it to a shop or anything. Too expensive. Although I do know a guy who works the shop the next town over...
For now though I'll follow your advice and focus on one thing at a time!
Thank you again!

EDIT: Now it doesn't start, it cranks and catches but it doesn't start fully. The gap for the blazer says .60 but the sparkplugs I got were .62 would that cause this issue? Please say it won't cause it was a doozy getting the 3rd cylinder sparkplug in. Nevermind!! I just mixed two of the sparkplug wires. She starts

Last edited by Cinnamon; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Cinnamon
Hopefully you're right about the code not being anything cause I definitely don't want to have to take it to a shop or anything. Too expensive. Although I do know a guy who works the shop the next town over...
For now though I'll follow your advice and focus on one thing at a time!
Thank you again!

EDIT: Now it doesn't start, it cranks and catches but it doesn't start fully. The gap for the blazer says .60 but the sparkplugs I got were .62 would that cause this issue? Please say it won't cause it was a doozy getting the 3rd cylinder sparkplug in. Nevermind!! I just mixed two of the sparkplug wires. She starts
Glad to hear that! If it seems to run well, nothing more to worry about - just drive it unless the SES light comes back on.