2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Flush radiator drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:53 PM
B761953 is on a distinguished road
Default Flush radiator drain plug

I am wanting to flush the radiator and cannot locate the drain for the radiator. Forgot to mention it's a 2004 S15 6 cylinder 4 x4

Last edited by B761953; 12-16-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: forgot to post year
Old 12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

It may vary depending on your year so this may not pertain to you but on my '02 it is located on the bottom left side of the radiator (if you're looking at the car). Use a 1/4 square key to turn the drain ****. Its a P.I.T.A to get to so you'll need a universal. Hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jstein
It may vary depending on your year so this may not pertain to you but on my '02 it is located on the bottom left side of the radiator (if you're looking at the car). Use a 1/4 square key to turn the drain ****. Its a P.I.T.A to get to so you'll need a universal. Hope this helps.
or you can do it the lazy way and just remove the lower hose

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tazz9690
or you can do it the lazy way and just remove the lower hose
I actually had a hard time locating mine at first. To flush the system I disconnected one of the hoses to the heater core and put a 5' piece of clear tubing in its place and ran that along side the car. I then stuck a garden hose in the radiator and let the engine cycle the fresh water for about 5 min. It's a great way to ensure you get all the Death-cool out. Its not the best method for catching all the old coolant as it comes out rather quickly once you start the engine (sorry EPA).

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

The petcock is on the passenger side, underneath the lower radiator hose. 1/4" ratchet will unscrew it. Do a quick search for "petcock" to find out some other issues.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Starting Member
Steve2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bulwaagh
The petcock is on the passenger side, underneath the lower radiator hose. 1/4" ratchet will unscrew it. Do a quick search for "petcock" to find out some other issues.
Not all of the 2004 S-10 Blazers w/4/3 V6 have a petcock. On the lower right corner of mine, (passenger-side) there is a 1 1/2" black plastic tube, about 1/2" in diameter. It has a small black tube coming off the side but with no attachments, white plastic, etc. It's actually easy to access, but when you look into the tube with an inspection mirror, there's nothing in the tube. It's blank, round, and sealed off. (Looks like a cigarette snuffer!) On the driver's side, at the lower corner, there's only a fitting with a metal tube coming out of it, which is some other type of fluid that's routed there for cooling. The lower radiator hose, which is mounted on the passenger side, is actually about 6" ABOVE the bottom of the radiator, which doesn't make for easy flushing. I guess I could totally remove the radiator so I can turn it upside down to flush it, or is there a kit available to install a petcock valve in the small, black, blank tube, located where the petcock should be?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Starting Member
Steve2003 is on a distinguished road

I was just curious if you ever got a good answer to where you're supposed to drain your coolant from, when the radiator doesn't have a petcock valve.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM
ja0879 is on a distinguished road

Is there an answer to this question I cant seem to find the drain on mine. its exactly as decribed abovre. I know this is an old thread but its the only thing that comes up in the search

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

PS lower corner, on most there is a (probably dirty) off-white plastic plug that 90% of them have the "ears" of it broken off. If the ears are broken it can be a PITA to remove.
Take a look in that area & see what you have. If the ears are broken, then get a new one before removing the old one.
Just had another thought: Google your year etc for a radiator in Images on Google.
Hopefully there will be some pics showing what is what on your rad.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

The last time I drained mine it was on the passenger side bottom but it wouldn't drain worth a crap. I think it was gunked up with dirt and what not. I ended up pulling the lower rad hose off the bottom of the rad. Honestly it is way easier, messy, but easier. If your ride has a bunch of miles on it I wouldn't be confident it wouldn't break as you're trying to loosen it being old plastic and all.

Quick Reply: Flush radiator drain plug