2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Follow up on previous ABS post

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member
Repus J 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Follow up on previous ABS post

I recently had a previous post about my ABS system ( https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...l+speed+sensor ). Long story short if you don't want to read through it, I replaced my driver front hub on my '02 blazer because when I turned left my ABS light would turn on and I would feel a grinding on my left foot through the wheel well. I replaced the hub hoping it was the wheel speed sensor giving mixed signals to my computer to activate my abs. Well, long story short, after 10.5 hours of working on it (my hub had basically welded itself onto the steering assembly) I got the thing replaced, and it is still an issue. I have also noticed that occasionally when coming to a stop with my wheels straight, my abs have slightly activated... I'm really at a loss as to what or where to go from here. A friend who owns an older blazer said his has a "Brake Reset" button. I have never heard of this and was hoping someone else might be able to shed some light on this!

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Starting Member
Katmandu is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed yet....

Anyways, it's my understanding that this is actually a common issue with 98+ Blazers.

There is GM Tech Bulletin on in this issue as well. I don'tr have it handy, but you could do a Search on it.

Apparently, the wheel hub ring (teeth) become covered with rust and effect the performance of the ABS sensor to get a proper reading.

I believe the fix is to simply clean off the rust from the wheel hub ring (teeth) where the ABS sensor takes it's reading from.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It all boils down to having the proper mV-AC output from the sensor. If rust is covering the teeth of the reluctor ring, the mV-AC output would be lower than clean teeth. However, the hub/bearing assembly was replaced so that should not be the cause unless the OP is driving a '97 or older truck as the ABS sensor on these trucks may be separate from the hub/bearing assembly. Looking at the previous thread from the OP, he has an '02.

The article in the Tech Article (DIY) section on low speed ABS activation covers the spec for required mV-AC output.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
Repus J 13 is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for responding! I kinda have just been dealing with the issue since I wasn't getting any responses and my friends and myself have all kind of been run dry on ideas!

I found the mV-AC guide that was posted and will give it a try on tuesday! seems like a reasonable explanation, and it does seem to only happen at low speeds... fingers crossed this works! I like it a lot better when I don't have any idiot lights on my dash!