2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Found a loose vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road
Default Found a loose vacuum hose

So I was doing some work on my 2003 Blazer today. When I finished I went for a test drive to check my work. MIL started flashing and I thought I heard a vacuum leak. Popped the hood and found a loose line. Can't see what it goes to.

Link to a larger pic...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...442742_n-1.jpg

Old 04-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Look just below that. There should be a hose barb sticking out. That hose mounts to the vacuum reservoir that is located inside the inner fender.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Thx. I'll look when I get home tonight.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

My blazer has that same problem but there isnt a vacuum reservoir inside the fender. Mine seems to be missing. My 2002 Blazer was wrecked in the front driver side whenever it was in my Grandpa's possession (not his fault). I have a feeling that the body shop that did the work forgot to replace it. Any ideas on where I can purchase one, I've been searching online without any luck.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the easiest option is to see how much room you have somewhere under the hood away from hot surfaces and then find another vacuum canister at the junkyard that will fit, regardless of what it comes off of. It really only needs to be a ~70 cubic inches in volume (5" diameter sphere is ~70 cubic inches in volume as is a 3x4x6 enclosure).

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Will there be any adverse effects to the vehicle if I just plug the hose until I can find one? Ive read somewhere on the forum that the reservoir just helps the engine keep vacuum pressure up under hard acceleration. It's raining out now or I would go look again to double check if its there. I hope that it is but its a real PITA to find lol.

Last edited by Defiant; 12-19-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Administrator

You may loose vacuum controlled features under heavy throttle if you just cap it off, but other than that, no other problems should show up.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Okay thanks for the info swartlkk, gonna go to the salvage yard soon if I can't find the reservoir, I really wonder why GM decided to make this a PITA and mount it in the fender.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

Found it with a mirror AFTER looking at our other S10 Blazer. The hose was totally wasted so it had to be leaking for a long time.

About every 5 years it is good to just take out and change them all out since the cost is almost nothing but I never seem to think to do it.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 AM

Yeah the one that is loose on mine is pretty mangled. I don't really understand why it is the only one that is bad, all the other hoses are perfectly fine and show no signs of weathering.

Quick Reply: Found a loose vacuum hose