2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

FPR or Spider CPI problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
Sterling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FPR or Spider CPI problems

I just checked my plenum today. My pressure tester registered about 60psi at rest that rapidly dropped to about 17psi. At idle it very rapidly flicks between about 55 and 60. I noticed that a small part of the passengers side of the plenum was clean, could this be from the seafoam I ran through it not too long ago?
The drivers side was all carboned up as usual.

I am getting P0172 system too rich bank 1
and P1406
I am in the process of getting a trombone cleaner to clean out my EGR passage (is there something that would be easier to get that would work to clean it out?)

I began getting P0172 after running seafoam through my intake to get rid of carbon build up and get the whitesmoke out of my exhaust. And at the last fill up i ran some Marvel though the gas to see if a plunger in my injector was sticking, no results yet.

My idle is rough, my exhaust is strong and smells like gas, and i keep failing emisions by a little bit. I've lost power, but I'm not convinced its my FPR, I'm still thinking it might be the spider. When i get a chance I'll take the the plenum cover off completely and not just the cap.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: FPR or Spider CPI problems

If your pressure is dropping that fast, you have a leak in the fuel system. I would be popping the upper plenum off sooner than later. You may not have a faulty FPR, but rather, maybe a failed nut kit...

Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Starting Member

http://www.dormanproducts.com/images/items/hwrap1/55163.jpg]Is This What You're Talking about? return hose[/URL]
or what exactly is a nut kit

Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is what is commonly referred to as the 'nut kit'. It consists of the internal feed and return lines.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Starting Member

Would i test that by just taking the upper plenum off, and pressurizing the system, or is that a bad idea?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was gonna say it was the nut kit also. i had the same problem

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Starting Member

well i ordered the nutkit and FPR (just for good measure) for a grand total of about $100... and DAMN IT my CEL went off again(and no i don't mean it came on)..... i think it does it to spite me....

anyways.... i pick them up tomorrow and ill keep driving and see if they come back on... maybe the marvel mystery oil i put in mysteriously and marvelously fixed it

Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Starting Member

alright, my codes have stayed off for a day, and its running smoother and its got more power, and smells a little less gasoline-ish...

and i haven't even replaced anything yet.... im cursed

Ill be poppin off the upper plenum tomorrow and installing the new FPR and nut kit

Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah when you do those fixes you might want to clean your MAF sensor if you havent in a while to help save some gas, and maybe bring down the mixture toward lean.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

'95s dont have them haha
and on the bright side, the codes came back and its rough again

Quick Reply: FPR or Spider CPI problems