2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Bumper Removal Help.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Front Bumper Removal Help.

I need to remove the front bumper and it looks like it would be easiest to leave the bumper cover on. The bumper cover is attached at the corners but I can not figure out the fastener. Unless the cover slides out. I believe the steps are: 1. remove the grill.
2. Remove the bumper bolts. 3. Remove the corner brace bolts. 4. Remove center bolt for the cover. 5. Remove the bumper and cover as an assy. This a 2000 Jimmy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think the corners of the bumper cover are held on with a push pin. I did not see any kind of head on the center pin. Do I pull the pin with a pair of pliers or vice grips? I am replacing my HID ballest and bulb on the passenger side and need access. I tried removing the ballast from the headlight opening but there is not enough room to get the mounting plate out with the ballast attached. There are 4 screws holding the ballast to the mounting plate and I could only get at the two rear ones. I tried fitting my 1/4 drive air ratchet to get at the other two screws but there is not enough space for the ratchet with the socket attached. I am either going to remove just the bumper cover or the bumper with the cover attached. Whatever is the easiest. I am open to sugestions.

Last edited by mr.vls; 09-23-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I need to remove the front bumper and it looks like it would be easiest to leave the bumper cover on. The bumper cover is attached at the corners but I can not figure out the fastener. Unless the cover slides out. I believe the steps are: 1. remove the grill.
2. Remove the bumper bolts. 3. Remove the corner brace bolts. 4. Remove center bolt for the cover. 5. Remove the bumper and cover as an assy. This a 2000 Jimmy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think the corners of the bumper cover are held on with a push pin. I did not see any kind of head on the center pin. Do I pull the pin with a pair of pliers or vice grips? I am replacing my HID ballest and bulb on the passenger side and need access. I tried removing the ballast from the headlight opening but there is not enough room to get the mounting plate out with the ballast attached. There are 4 screws holding the ballast to the mounting plate and I could only get at the two rear ones. I tried fitting my 1/4 drive air ratchet to get at the other two screws but there is not enough space for the ratchet with the socket attached. I am either going to remove just the bumper cover or the bumper with the cover attached. Whatever is the easiest. I am open to sugestions.
I dont exactly remember, but on a 2001 there are 4 bolts on the top of the metal piece of the bumper, 2 on the frame horns and 2 farther out. Inside the corners ON the truck is a mushroom like post, and the bumper has a foam end inside with a plastic catch (think polevault), they just slide on.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I got the bumper cover off without any issues. Removed all the bumper bolts but I did not have to take it all the way off to get at the HID Ballast. I replaced the ballast installed all of the bumper bolts. I went to install the new GM HID bulb in the housing and the plastic boss for the housing was cracked. I repaired with epoxy and tomorrow I will put the Headlight assy. together. Re-install the bumper cover and be done with the HID bulb and ballast replacement. The replacement bulb and ballast from GM is High Dollar and I hope the other side does not go out any time soon.