2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front differential axle bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road
Default Front differential axle bearing

Need to replace front differential axle bearing and seal. Seal looks easy but not sure about bearing. Is the bearing race pressed in? Is it a tapered roller bearing or straight. Once I remove the seal and cover is it easily removed. Of course the cv is moved prior to removing the seal cover - that I know how to do. The cv shaft is radially loose in the differential and the seal is leaking. cv is new.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on which bearing/seal you are talking about. There is the pinion bearings/seal, driver output bearing/seal and the passenger output bearing/seal. The output bearings/seals are easier than the pinion, but it's all relative...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
mjt
Starting Member

driver output bearing/seal and the passenger output bearing/seal

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
mjt
Starting Member

There are 3 axle bearings in the IFS that can be replaced without complete disassembly. There is 1 bearing for the left axle and 2 bearings for the right axle. The right axle tube can be removed and the outer bearing and seal can be replaced easily. The right inner and left axle bearing are inside the spanners that adjust the backlash and bearing preload on the differential. The bearings are pressed in the spanners. You shoudl be able to pull them out without removing the spanners. This will require a slide hammer puller with fingers on it that will go inside the bearing and grab it from the back side. If these bearings are worn then the axles will also be worn because the axles ride directly on the bearing rollers. The left seal is in the cover that goes on the left side of the case, so it will be easy to replace. When you put the cover back on you need to stick the axle in to center the seal before yu tighten the bolts that hold the cover on. This will help prevent a leak.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
mjt
Starting Member

Definitely buy the cover with the seal installed for the drivers side. for a 99 4WD 4DR Blazer it is GM # 12471587. You need the GM tools or make your own to remove and install the bearing and seals. I used a Proto puller for the driver side bearing. Kent tools sells the GM puller J 29369-1. Pay attention to the bearing orientation. The bearing part number is stamped on the side and should be visible when you remove the seal. You will damage the bearing if you press the wrong side. Drivers side can be done reasonably but passengers side requires removal of the axle tube if you want to replace the bearing. The seal can be replaced without removing the axle tube. You need a seal removal tool and some patience. The seal part no is GM #12471586 and bearing is GM #2605-3326 for a 99 4WD 4DR Blazer - not ZR2. I bought NAPA CVs and have a problem with the passengers side. It is a short axle and does not allow enough angle. If I jack the car up until the wheel leaves the ground the axle binds up. My Blazer ride height is stock and the NAPA axle doesnt work. Honestly if I was to do it again I would have rebuilt my GM CVs. The aftermarket is crap. I even called a local shop and the mechanic confirmed the same crap. He has bought them from the junky in some cases. Just because they are leaking grease doesnt mean there no good. They can be rebuilt. Also CVs are not like a driveshaft. There is some backlash.

I have some pics if you need some confidence.

Last edited by mjt; 07-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.