2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

front end question. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member
jlockEMT35 is on a distinguished road
Default front end question. please help!

Thank you for any help I get from this. I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4x4 4.3l auto. For the past couple months I have been trying to figure out a front end vibration that goes away when I engage 4wd. I have checked my vacuum actuator, shift cable, transfer case vacuum switch and I have replaced both front axles, wheel bearings and all ball joints. I have also drained and replaced trans and transfer case fluid. Today I was checking the front diff shift cable and was topping off my front diff oil and found my front diff to be totally dry (put in nearly 1.5 qts). I then noticed a serious leak at my front diff/axle seal driver side. About a year ago I had a ball joint fail and ended up replacing the driver side Cv axle which about 2 months ago popped out of.the front diff while I was driving (I probably did not properly engage it, I am still learning about all this stuff). So clearly I have to replace the oil seal on the front diff, is there a bearing that the axle engages into right at this seal and if so how.easy is it to replace? With the gear oil back in the front diff the front end vibration is nearly.completely gone.

I would appreciate any advice and/ or info you can provide... I am mechanically oriented just inexperienced... also please.excuse any typos... I'm posting this from my phone while at work!

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It should go in with a bit of effort. The challenge is getting it to start straight. Once it starts in, just tap it back to flush and you're good to go.

Hopefully the bearings in the front axle are not too scored up from running without gear lube.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Beginning Member
jlockEMT35 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! So how do I pull the old bearing? I plan on digging in tomorrow morning and I would like to be prepared before I am elbow deep if I can. God I hope this solves this issue!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the bearings are bad, you will basically end up doing a complete rebuild on the front axle. That will require the front axle to be removed from the truck to allow for the disassembly of the differential halves.

If you have never had a GM IFS front axle apart before, you may want to find help from someone that has. They are not overly complicated, but there are some areas where you can screw up.

If you are uncomfortable with popping open and rebuilding the front diff, you always have the option of picking up a matching replacement from a junkyard.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:33 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I too have a mysterious vibration coming from what I believe is the front diff. Im just starting to do a front suspension overhaul (rough country lift) and thinking to have a shop do a tear down and see what they find. Is having a shop do a tear down and rebuild worth the price, which I have no idea what this price is or should I start shopping for a used front diff hoping its in good condition?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Anyone ever have there front diff tore down and rebuilt? Price?