2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 AM
C5Longhorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD

I had new tires put on yesterday and the shop said they couldn't align my '99 Blazer because I had a bad front hub. To demonstrate, the mechanic rattled the wheel back and forth slightly. How can one tell the hub is bad versus a rim?

I assume this isn't uncommon with 114K on the odometer?

How hard is this to replace yourself? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD

A rim would not rattle back and forth. With the front end elevated, if you can feel play up when pushing/pulling on the wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, then it is a bad wheel bearing. If, with your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, you feel play, then it could be a bad steering component or a bad wheel bearing.

As far as the replacement, you can basically follow the how-to for a 4wd posted in the DIY section as it is basically the same minus the axle nut/shaft. Remove the brakes (caliper & rotor remembering to support the caliper with something other than the brake line), disconnect the ABS sensor, remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on and remove the hub. Reinstall in reverse.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Thank you for the very fast response. That is exactly what was done. Hands were in the 12 and 6 o'clock position and there was a small amount of play back and forth.

A wheel bearing is cheaper than a new HUB.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that on a '99 the hub/bearing assembly is sealed, requiring replacement. It also has the ABS sensor with it.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the additional info, although not what I wanted to hear I think a replacement at Autozone will go for a little over $200.

Again, appreciate the tips as I try to troubleshoot and replace for as little as possible.

Rick

Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm replacing mine in a few weeks, and Advance Auto Parts has them for $156 apiece.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM

Well, I checked again tonight. There is definitely a small amount of play in the front passenger hub. So if there is any movement at all in the 12 and 6 position, it means the hub needs to be replaced?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Sadly, yes.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 AM

Ok thanks. I may end up having to do both sides.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM

Any tips for getting a rusted rotor off? I'm into the hug replacement job and can't get the rotor off. I don't want to pound on the dust shield so its limiting my ability to pound on the rotor with a rubber mallet.

So far I have removed the brake pads, and caliper brackets. Shouldn't the rotor come off at this point?

Thanks,

Rick

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub replacement for 2WD