2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel filling/evap leak

Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default fuel filling/evap leak

Well im not sure how many remember me, but im back and need some advice.

I currently am throwing the p0442? code(got it checked a couple weeks ago and cant remember exactly) it came up as a small evap leak with the most common fix being a new gas cap.

Before this code appeared i started having trouble filling or even putting gas in my tank. normally you put the nozzle in the filler neck and pull up on the handle and let the gas flow. now when you get to a full tank the handle kicks back as stops the fuel flow.

My problem is that the handle kicks back non stop no matter my fuel level. I have to barely pull up on the handle in order to put gas in my tank and if i pull too far the handle kicks back.

Any thoughts on causes, fixes, or has anyone even had/heard of this problem?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 AM
Beginning Member
m0perale is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I've heard of it. Do you (or whoever drives/fills the Blazer), by chance, have a habit of filling it past the initial click (i.e. topping off the tank)?

This habit can damage the onboard vapor recovery system.

Here's a link to another forum where the problem is described.

One poster wrote:
The problem might be with the Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery system.

When filling the gas tank the fuel vapors are forced into the carbon canister in the EVAP system so they can be collected before the gas tank vents into the atmophere. If there's a restriction in the EVAP system the fuel tank can't vent properly when being filled. This builds pressure in the fuel tank and the gas nozzle keeps shutting off.

The carbon canister is located next to the fuel tank. Have someone disconnect all the hoses from the carbon canister so they can be inspected for any blockage.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Might want to check the roll-over valve. There's a ball, a little bigger than a ping pong ball, in the filler neck or tank, (depending on design). If it gets stuck in the "up" position it will restrict the fuel as it trys to enter the tank. If the vehicle rolls over, the ball is designed to slow or stop fuel from pouring out, hence the name Also check the filler neck for kinks.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

I do have a habit of topping the tank off after the initial click so hopefully that didn't damage anything.

Captain- I'll have to get out there today and check the neck for kinks, I don't expect to find any but you never know with these blazers. I'll have to wait until I have garage access to check for the ball though.

Thanks for the input guys.