2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Gauge 2000 2dr Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Norman is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Gauge 2000 2dr Blazer

My fuel guage does not work. Any thoughts on the problem and possible fix?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Common problem. Search for "fuel+gauge" and you should turn up quite a few results.

Bottom line is that the sending unit is the likely culprit.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Norman is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Seems complicated and costly. I'll continue to use the odometer and ignore the fuel gauge. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
deviantsyndicate is on a distinguished road

it sounds like to me that your sending unit has went out have replaced plenty of them

Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Mine has been out for at least the past four years. I don't see any reason to fix it until I need to replace the fuel pump. Just keep using the trip odometer and you'll be fine.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Minipicard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
Mine has been out for at least the past four years. I don't see any reason to fix it until I need to replace the fuel pump. Just keep using the trip odometer and you'll be fine.
Hi guys, I'm having this same problem but am about to go on a cross country road trip... so having a heads up on when I'm running low on fuel is going to come in real handy especially with the variations in MPG caused by elevation, load, traffic, etc...

Is there a way to fix this issue on the cheap? Any MacGuyver fixes?

Also, any tips on prepping my Blazer for cross country travel would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fill up every 100 miles for a bit until you get a handle on the fuel usage and then extend it.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Minipicard is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Fill up every 100 miles for a bit until you get a handle on the fuel usage and then extend it.
That's going to be especially painful given the variability of gas station availability in some states... I guess this is one fix I'll just *have* to make before the trip.

I understand it's a common problem on blazers, could I get an idea from some of you that have had it done how much it costs to fix?

Also.. if I bought one of those boxes that talks to the brain box directly would I be able to derive from that info how much gas is in the tank? Or are those stats dependant on the broken "sender" bit in the fuel pump?

TIA!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Administrator

They are not dependent on the fuel gauge, but they are not all that accurate either.

You could try just replacing the fuel level sending unit which is available separately and costs a lot less than the whole pump. Of course, with the issues that fuel pumps have in these trucks and the fact that the work to replace the sending unit is the same as the work required to change the pump... That is just a call that you are going to have to make.