2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel gauge, check engine light, and low fuel light

Old 06-01-2008, 04:28 AM
zoniah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel gauge, check engine light, and low fuel light

I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door 2wd. A few months ago the fuel gauge stopped working (was erractic a month before that), the low fuel light and check engine light stays on. Last week replaced the sending unit but that didn't fix the problem. This week replace the whole fuel pump assembly module with new sending unit float etc attached to it already and it still did not fix the problem. It runs great just those lights stay on all the time and it is irritating. Having to calculate how much further I can drive before I need more is gas is also irritating. From my research this seems to be a common problem usually fixed by replacing the sending unit. Any ideas what to try now? All help appreciated.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: fuel gauge, check engine light, and low fuel light

The next step that I would take would be to replace the wire that runs from the sending unit to the PCM. If this wire were grounding out or otherwise damaged, it will cause all kinds of problems. I may actually be doing this very thing on a friends 2k Bravada within the next few months as he is having much the same problem.

I don't have the schematics in front of me at the moment, but I can try to look them up later today.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks I already downloaded and printed up all the wiring diagrams I could find on the online repair manual but I appreciate the offer. My husband is going to check out the wires and see if he can find any bad ones. I found out that if I pull out the fuse to gauges that the fuel gauge will move just above empty but as soon as I put the key in the ignition and don't turn it or anything it drops back below empty and stays there.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your truck to AutoZone, or similar, have them plug into it and see what the code is coming up with. It will give you a good idea of what needs to be done exactly.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:20 AM

It turned out to be a wire between the transmission and the fuel tank. The fuel gauge is working and the low fuel light went off. The check engine light is still on but my husband thinks that is because he needs to change the oil. If that don't fix it I will have to take it somewhere to have the codes read.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to get the codes read. There is no way for the these trucks to know when you need your oil changed.

Which wire was the problem? Where did you find the problem? This information will help a lot of other people that are experiencing this same thing. Thanks!!