2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel gauge no longer works after stuck in snow bank

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel gauge no longer works after stuck in snow bank

So long story short...we got a foot of snow and I tried to go to work. Was doing fine until I hit the drift that came up over the hood. That pretty much stopped the truck :-(

Managed to get out after about 30 minutes of idling and going back/forth in my tracks.

Had a full tank of gas when that started. Sometime during the struggle to get out of the drift the fuel gauge suddenly went to empty and the idiot light came on.

A little later that day the SES light came on. I haven't pulled the code but will do that tonight.

The entire underside of the truck was one block of snow/ice so I suspect something got water forced into its connection and isn't happy.

Since then the ice/snow under the truck has melted and all connections look ok, but still no gauge and the SES light still on.

Anyone ever had this issue and know the problem? I'm guessing I'll have better luck diagnosing once I pull the error code. It might point me to what's wrong.

I don't suppose there is a separate fuse just for the fuel gauge???

Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member
mwbrown4 is on a distinguished road

At this point my guess is as good as yours until you pull the code.

I would guess that something possibly shorted out considering you said the whole underside was a block of ice.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Pulled the code just now: PO452 or P0452 Not sure if it's a zero or Oh.
Powertrain - Evaporative Emmisson Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input.

Cleared it and it didn't come back on until I shut the truck off and started it again.

Web shows: Fuel Tank Presure Sensor Circuit Low Input Conditions.

I assume that would be the same sensor/wire that has something to do with the fuel gauge not getting a signal?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:08 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

possible ground for it?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Could be. Not sure if something got ripped loose or if I packed water into a connection and shorted it out.

Is there a wiring schematic for the fuel pump/sending unit somewhere?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Ah. I should have been more specific. I need to know which wires that run under the truck go to what. I assume my problem is one of the two/three connectors that are on top of the fule tank but I'm not sure.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Two problems going on: When the fuel level sender circuit shorts to ground, the dash gage indicates empty. The P(zero)452 is indicating low input which means there's an open circuit in the pressure sensor circuitry. The wires for both components are in the same harness going to the fuel pump module. Might have to wait til May or June, when the snow finally melts away, to find the problems

Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 PM

So it's probably one of those two sets of wires I saw on top?

Yeah, it's heading to -3 at the moment and there isn't a snowless spot to work on the truck.

I wish I could bring it into the garage and put a heater on so I could work.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yup, the level sender is inside the fuel pump module, right next to the pump. The sender has two wires and the fuel pump has two wires, all 4 wires are in the same connector on the top of the module. The pressure sensor is mounted to the top of the module and has it's own separate connector. The harness runs along the left frame rail, probably packed with snow! I'm not that far away from you, so I know what you're talking about with the snow & cold, not fun.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge no longer works after stuck in snow bank