2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member
lil_J is on a distinguished road
Default fuel leak

hey guys. Ever since I bought my blazer a few months ago I could almost always smell fuel, especially when it was full, but never found any leaks. Well now its leaking and I can't figure out from where. My driveway is a small hill and it will leak no matter which way I park it. It even leaked when I had it in the garage (flat floor). The leaking will eventually stop after about an hour, and when I start it on the hill it will start leaking right away. I have a feeling the leak is on the top of the tank but just dont know. Its a little weird too that the tank is just above 1/4 full. anyone have any ideas?

vehicle: 1996 S-10 4 door, 4wd blazer

Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Being that it stops after some time logic would say that it is draining the line or something. I would park it in the garage and try to follow were it is dripping from by following the spots on the floor.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

i agree, sounds like the pressure is bleeding down on the line, i would remove the air intake tube with the motor off and shine a flashlight into the upper intake, i would not be surprised to see some fuel in there, coming from the Fuel Pressure Regulator attached to the spider. i believe you can change just the FPR without replacing the spider on that year.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Beginning Member
Easy48827 is on a distinguished road

Blazers, etc. have the fuel line routed on top of the frame where it cannot be cleaned or inspected. They are steel and they rust over time. When it has stopped leaking for a while, crawl under there and have someone turn on the ignition but don't start it. If you find a leak you know it is the fuel line. Happened to me here in Michigan.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE

I'm dropping the fuel tank today. The fuel leak has basically become a flow now, and I have a suspicion that its a fuel line. I got it up on ramps and I can tell theres a definite leak coming from whatever is on top of the tank. Now i started to undo the two rubber hoses on the rear of the tank and a few seconds after I did that fuel started to drip off the side of the tank in 3 different locations. By this point the truck had been on the ramps for a good half hour and had only dripped when I first put it on the ramps.

Does anyone have any tips for dropping the tank? I've never done this before and am worried I'm going to miss a hose or something and end up totally screwing myself :/

Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member

Never taken one out of a blazer, but generally speaking, use a floor jack to lower is slowly and keep an eye on it, prolly use a helper to do this. Shouldn't be too involved, but watch for wiring.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Beginning Member

Put a longish, wide board on your floor jack to distribute weight evenly, especially if you have a significant amount of fuel in the tank

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lil_J
UPDATE

I'm dropping the fuel tank today. The fuel leak has basically become a flow now, and I have a suspicion that its a fuel line. I got it up on ramps and I can tell theres a definite leak coming from whatever is on top of the tank. Now i started to undo the two rubber hoses on the rear of the tank and a few seconds after I did that fuel started to drip off the side of the tank in 3 different locations. By this point the truck had been on the ramps for a good half hour and had only dripped when I first put it on the ramps.

Does anyone have any tips for dropping the tank? I've never done this before and am worried I'm going to miss a hose or something and end up totally screwing myself :/

The newer trucks (2000) have a small hose at the very front of the tank near the top, if yours has one don't forget to disconnect it.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Beginning Member

alright I've got the two straps undone, the plastic guard thats towards the rear right by the frame off, and the clamps on the two rubber hoses on the top of the tank at the rear loosened and it wont come down. is there something on top I have to unhook? am I missing a bolt somewhere or do I have to man handle it?

Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Beginning Member

top tip, take the spare tire off! lol. Once I did that i could clearly see the top of the tank and may have found the problem. There are 3 lines connected to the pump at the top of the tank, the line closest to the driveshaft was not plugged in all the way and as hard as I push will not clamp on. will I have to replace that part of the line or the clip?

If any of this isnt clear to anyone please say so and I will do my best to clarify

Quick Reply: fuel leak